The Corneal and External Diseases Service at the USC Roski Eye Institute provides medical and surgical expertise in the management of the full spectrum of corneal and external eye diseases. Our consultations include in-depth comprehensive corneal evaluations and the latest in medical diagnostic services and computerized topography. Our services provide ophthalmology treatment for disorders affecting the surface of the eye. By understanding the specifics of your corneal disease, a unique treatment plan can be formulated for the most effective results. To learn more about how our cornea and external disease ophthalmologists can help you, contact us online or call 323-442-6335 today.
Conditions We Treat
- Bullous Keratopathy
- Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye)
- Corneal Astigmatism
- Corneal Dystrophies
- Corneal Infection (Keratitis)
- Corneal Scarring
- Corneal Ulcer
- Dry Eye
- Fuchs Endothelial Dystrophy
- Herpes Scars
- Watery Eyes/Tearing
Corneas can be damaged through inflammation, degeneration, allergies, infections, injuries and inherited dystrophies. We offer the most advanced technology in the diagnosis of corneal diseases such as:
- Corneal and anterior segment optical coherent tomography imaging
- Wavefront analyzers
- Microbiological studies
- Computerized corneal modeling technology to corneal topography
Treatments for Corneal Diseases
Treatments for corneal diseases may range from lifestyle adjustments, such as eliminating allergens, the use of visual aids and medications, to refractive surgeries and corneal transplantation. Our cornea specialists have been at the forefront of many corneal surgical procedures, which include treatment of conjunctiva and corneal infections, corneal degenerations and other ocular surface abnormalities. Surgical procedures include:
- Anterior segment reconstruction
- Cataract and intraocular Lens Surgery
- Refractive corneal surgery
- Cataract surgery
We are one of few centers in the country with expertise in all corneal transplant procedures. Each patient is assessed individually with our highly advanced diagnostic and treatment protocols. If the need should arise for human donor corneal transplants, our management expertise minimizes risk of donor tissue rejection and rapidly decreases recovery time. The USC Roski Eye Institute was the first center in California to offer Desemet’s Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty (DSEK) corneal transplants. In addition to DSEK below is a list of corneal transplant procedures we offer:
- DSEK and DMEK – DSEK and Desemet’s Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty, treatment of Fuch’s endothelial dystrophy or bullous keratopathy.
- FLAK – Femtosecond Laser-Assisted Keratoplasty, treatment of corneal scars, keratoconus and herpes scars
- KPros – Keratoprosthesis, or artificial corneal transplant, treatment of a failed corneal transplant
- DALK – Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty, treatment of keratoconus and herpes scars
- PK – Penetrating Keratoplasty for the treatment of corneal scars
- PROSE – Prosthetic Replacement of the Ocular Surface Ecosystem (PROSE) treatment, a nonsurgical procedure, treatment of irregular corneas and ocular surface diseases is offered through our Specialty Contact Lenses and PROSE Treatments
To learn more about corneal diseases and their treatments, please visit MedicineNet.com.
Advances in Cornea Research
Our researchers and clinicians continue to make breakthroughs in the field of Cornea and External Diseases. Some of these advancements are listed below:
- USC Roski Eye Institute corneal surgeons were part of the original prospective, large-study protocol for first lamellar surgeries performed in the US.
- Our clinicians participate in the National Institutes of Health-sponsored clinical trial studies of the most state-of-the-art corneal treatments
Whether your corneal disease has been affecting your eyesight for years or you are only just beginning to experience symptoms indicating the presence of a disease, our cutting edge treatments can provide you with the care you deserve. All of our physicians are American board certified and fellowship trained subspecialists. Call 323-442-6335 to schedule a consultation at our Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Pasadena, or Arcadia location or fill our the online contact form. Exceptional eye care is available today.
Please visit our doctors page for summaries of the basic/translational and clinical research being conducted by our clinicians.
Next, read about glaucoma.