Biography and Education
Damien C. Rodger, MD, PhD, worked as a co-op intern at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory on attitude control microsystems for unmanned space exploration while completing his Bachelor’s in electrical engineering from Cornell University in 2000. Dr. Rodger then earned his Medical Degree from the Keck School of Medicine of USC and his PhD in bioengineering from the California Institute of Technology. He was voted Transitional Resident of the Year at the University of Chicago/NorthShore Program before starting his residency in ophthalmology at the USC Department of Ophthalmology, LAC+USC program. Dr. Rodger completed his Vitreoretinal Surgery Fellowship and was a clinical instructor at the USC Roski Eye Institute. He was awarded the Heed Fellowship for the 2013-2014 year and the Ronald G. Michels Fellowship in Vitreoretinal Surgery for the 2014-2015 year. He specializes in medical and surgical retina, as well as in uveitis and ocular inflammation.
Dr. Rodger has conducted groundbreaking research on the design, fabrication, and testing of high density microtechnologies for retinal and spinal cord prostheses, and has been instrumental in the development of novel bioMEMS for intraocular pressure reduction and monitoring. He has written and coauthored more than forty journals and refereed conference proceeding publications, has been granted more than twenty patents to date, and serves on the review board for multiple prestigious engineering journals and international conferences. Dr. Rodger is also principal investigator of the following clinical trials at the USC Roski Eye Institute: MUST, POINT, EyeGate and Peachtree.
- MD, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, 2009
- PhD, Bioengineering, California Institute of Technology, 2008
- University of Chicago (NorthShore) Program, Department of Medicine, 2010
- Ophthalmology, University of Southern California, Department of Ophthalmology (LAC+ USC medical Center), Los Angeles, California, 2013
- Vitreoretinal Surgery, University of Southern California, Department of Ophthalmology (LAC+ USC medical Center), Los Angeles, California, 2015
Professional society memberships
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS)
- Los Angeles Society of Ophthalmology (LASO)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS)
- IEEE Eta Kappa Nu (Electrical Engineering) National Honor Society
- Tau Beta Pi (Engineering) National Honor Society
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Dean’s Scholar, Cornell University, 1996-2000
- Schlumberger Collegiate Award Scholarship recipient, 1999-2000
- W. M. Keck Foundation Fellowship in Nanobiotechnology, 2000-2001
- Salerni Collegium MD/PhD Award recipient, 2001-2003
- Dean’s Recognition, USC Keck School of Medicine, 2003
- Whitaker Foundation Graduate Fellowship in Biomedical Engineering, 2003-2006
- Drinkward Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2005-2006
- Transducer Research Foundation Travel Award recipient, 2007
- Salerni Collegium MD/PhD Award recipient, 2007-2008
- Irving I. Lasky MD Memorial Award for Excellence in Research, 2009
- Intern of the Year Award, Transitional Year Program, NorthShore University HealthSystem, 2009-2010
- ARVO Travel Award, USC Department of Ophthalmology-USC Professional Association, 2012, 2013
- Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Fellowship, 2013-2014
- Ronald G. Michels Fellowship in Vitreoretinal Surgery, 2014
- Rodger DC, Kim EL, Rao NA. Ophthalmomyiasis Interna. Ophthalmology. 2016 Feb;123(2):247.
- Ediriwickrema LS, Chhadva P, Rodger DC, Ameri H, Rao NA. Intravenous Immunoglobulin in the Treatment of Juvenile Retinitis Pigmentosa-Associated Cystoid Macular Edema and Uveitis. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2016 Nov 08.
- Kim AY, Rodger DC, Shahidzadeh A, Chu Z, Koulisis N, Burkemper B, Jiang X, Pepple KL, Wang RK, Puliafito CA, Rao NA, Kashani AH. Quantifying Retinal Microvascular Changes in Uveitis Using Spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography (Sd-Octa). Am J Ophthalmol. 2016 Nov;171:101-12.
- Moysidis SN, Koulisis N, Patel VR, Kashani AH, Rao NA, Humayun MS, Rodger DC. The Second Blind Spot: Small Retinal Vessel Vasculopathy after Vaccination against Neisseria Meningitidis and Yellow Fever. Retin Cases Brief Rep. Epub 2016 Sep 2.
- Storey PP, Philander SA, Ter-Zakarian A, Rao NA, Rodger DC. Ultra-Wide-Field Fluorescein Angiography in Microscopic Polyangiitis. Case Rep Ophthalmol Med. 2016;2016:9834684.
- Storey P, Ter-Zakarian A, Rao N, Rodger DC. Severe Bilateral Retinal Vascular Occlusion as First Presentation of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Antiphospholipid Syndrome. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2016 Aug 19.
- Olmos LC, Nazari H, Rodger DC, Humayun MS. Stem Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Current Ophthalmology Reports. 2015;3(1):16-25.
- Lee SY, Cheng V, Rodger DC, Rao N. Clinical and laboratory characteristics of ocular syphilis: a new face in the era of HIV co-infection. Journal of ophthalmic inflammation and infection. 2015;5(1):56. Epub 2015/08/25. doi: 10.1186/s12348-015-0056-x. PubMed PMID: 26297110; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc4546070.
- Diniz B, Rodger DC, Chavali VR, MacKay T, Lee SY, Stambolian D, et al. Drusen and RPE atrophy automated quantification by optical coherence tomography in an elderly population. Eye (London, England). 2015;29(2):300. Epub 2015/02/13. doi: 10.1038/eye.2014.307. PubMed PMID: 25672510; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc4330299.
- Lam LA, Rodger DC. Bilateral macular detachments, venous stasis retinopathy, and retinal hemorrhages as initial presentation of multiple myeloma: a case report. Retinal cases & brief reports. 2014;8(4):240-4. Epub 2014/11/06. doi: 10.1097/icb.0000000000000110. PubMed PMID: 25372517.
- Rodger DC, Richter G, Khanamiri HN, Rao N. Perivascular fundus autofluorescence abnormalities in autoimmune retinopathy. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2013;54(15):4911-.
- Diniz B, Ribeiro RM, Rodger DC, Maia M, Sadda S. Drusen detection by confocal aperture-modulated infrared scanning laser ophthalmoscopy. The British journal of ophthalmology. 2013;97(3):285-90. Epub 2012/12/25. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2012-302575. PubMed PMID: 23264545.
- Li W, Rodger DC, Pinto A, Meng E, Weiland JD, Humayun MS, et al. Parylene-based integrated wireless single-channel neurostimulator. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical. 2011;166(2):193-200.
- Li W, Rodger DC, Meng E, Weiland JD, Humayun MS, Tai Y-C. Wafer-level parylene packaging with integrated RF electronics for wireless retinal prostheses. Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems. 2010;19(4):735-42.
- Wahjudi PN, Oh JH, Salman SO, Seabold JA, Rodger DC, Tai YC, et al. Improvement of metal and tissue adhesion on surface-modified parylene C. Journal of biomedical materials research Part A. 2009;89(1):206-14. Epub 2008/04/24. doi: 10.1002/jbm.a.31929. PubMed PMID: 18431781.
- Lin J, Chen P-J, Saati S, Varma R, Rodger DC, Humayun M, et al. A minimally invasive wireless intraocular pressure sensor implant. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2009;50(13):2871-.
- Rodger DC, Fong AJ, Li W, Ameri H, Ahuja AK, Gutierrez C, et al. Flexible parylene-based multielectrode array technology for high-density neural stimulation and recording. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 2008;132(2):449-60. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2007.10.069.
- Li W, Rodger DC, Menon P, Tai Y-C. Accelerated-lifetime soak testing of Parylene packaging. Polymer Preprints. 2008;49(1):929.
- Li W, Rodger DC, Menon P, Tai Y-C. Corrosion Behavior of Parylene-Metal-Parylene Thin Films in Saline. ECS Transactions. 2008;11(18):1-6.
- Chen P-J, Rodger DC, Saati S, Humayun MS, Tai Y-C. Microfabricated implantable parylene-based wireless passive intraocular pressure sensors. Microelectromechanical Systems, Journal of. 2008;17(6):1342-51.
- Chen P-J, Rodger DC, Humayun MS, Tai Y-C. Floating-disk parylene microvalves for self-pressure-regulating flow controls. Microelectromechanical Systems, Journal of. 2008;17(6):1352-61.
- Rodger D, Li W, Ameri H, Saati S, Menon P, Meng E, et al. Dual-metal-layer parylene-based flexible electrode arrays for intraocular retinal prostheses. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2007;48:657.
- Chen PJ, Rodger DC, Meng EM, Humayun MS, Yu-Chong T. Surface-Micromachined Parylene Dual Valves for On-Chip Unpowered Microflow Regulation. Microelectromechanical Systems, Journal of. 2007;16(2):223-31. doi: 10.1109/JMEMS.2006.889534.
- Chen PJ, Rodger DC, Agrawal R, Saati S, Meng E, Varma R, et al. Implantable micromechanical parylene-based pressure sensors for unpowered intraocular pressure sensing. Microelectromechanical Systems, Journal of. 2007;17(10):1931-8.
- Rodger DC, Weiland JD, Humayun MS, Tai YC. Scalable high lead-count parylene package for retinal prostheses. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 2006;117(1):107-14. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2005.11.010.
- Chen PJ, Rodger DC, Humayun MS, Tai YC. Unpowered spiral-tube parylene pressure sensor for intraocular pressure sensing. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical. 2006;127(2):276-82. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2005.08.027.
- Rodger DC, Tai YC. Microelectronic packaging for retinal prostheses. IEEE engineering in medicine and biology magazine : the quarterly magazine of the Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society. 2005;24(5):52-7. Epub 2005/10/27. PubMed PMID: 16248117.