Biography and Education
Gloria B. Chiu, OD, FAAO completed her Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Berkeley in 2004. She remained at the University of California, Berkeley where she obtained her Doctor of Optometry degree in 2008. Following completion of her residency in Cornea and Contact lenses at Southern California College of Optometry, Dr. Chiu pursued further fellowship training in PROSE treatment at the Boston Foundation for Sight. Alongside Dr. Jonathan C. Song, Dr. Chiu supervises the USC PROSE Clinic and is actively conducting research in this area.
Investigation of the efficacy of PROSE treatment at the USC Roski Eye Institute in Los Angeles by conducting a prospective evaluation of data from patients who were fit with the PROSE devices. This data will be helpful to physicians and clinicians who are in search of additional forms of treatment for intractable ocular surface and corneal abnormalities
- Bachelor of Arts, University of California, Berkeley, 2004
- Doctor of Optometry, University of California, Berkeley, 2008
- Southern California College of Optometry, Cornea and Contact Lenses
- Boston Foundation for Sight, PROSE Treatment
Professional society memberships
- Member, Scleral Lens Education Society
- Fellow, American Academy of Optometry
- Gas Permeable Lens Institute (GPLI) Advisory Board
- Member, American Academy of Optometry
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- American Optometric Association
- California Optometric Association
- Beta Sigma Kappa, Honor Society, Berkeley, California
- UCBSO Early Admittance Scholarship, 2004
- UCBSO Optometry Performance Grant, 2005
- AOSA Vistakon Travel Grant, 2006
- UCBSO Optometry Leadership and Service Grant, 2006
- Michael Harris Student Clinical Excellence Award, 2007
- UCBSO Student Leadership and Service Award, 2007
- Stephen & Doris Chun Professional Student Endowed Scholarship, 2008
- Walmart Optical Scholarship, 2008
- Alcon Excellence Award – Case Study Award, 2008
- Eschenbach Low Vision Award, 2008
- Gas Permeable Contact Lens Clinical Excellence Award, 2008
- George W. Mertz Contact Lens Residency Award, 2009
- AOA Contact Lens and Cornea Section Resident Research Award, 2009
- Theophanous C, Irvine JA, Parker P, Chiu GB. Use of Prosthetic Replacement of the Ocular Surface Ecosystem Scleral Lenses in Patients with Ocular Chronic Graft-versus-Host Disease. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation : journal of the American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2015. Epub 2015/08/04. doi: 10.1016/j.bbmt.2015.07.027. PubMed PMID: 26234721.
- Samimi DB, Chiu GB, Burnstine MA. PROSE scleral lens: a novel aid for staged eyelid reconstruction. Ophthalmic plastic and reconstructive surgery. 2014;30(5):e119-21. Epub 2013/12/10. doi: 10.1097/IOP.0b013e3182a64fc9. PubMed PMID: 24317103.
- Heur M, Bach D, Theophanous C, Chiu GB. Prosthetic replacement of the ocular surface ecosystem scleral lens therapy for patients with ocular symptoms of chronic Stevens-Johnson syndrome. American journal of ophthalmology. 2014;158(1):49-54. Epub 2014/04/05. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2014.03.012. PubMed PMID: 24699156.
- Chiu GB, Bach D, Theophanous C, Heur M. Prosthetic Replacement of the Ocular Surface Ecosystem (PROSE) scleral lens for Salzmann’s nodular degeneration. Saudi journal of ophthalmology : official journal of the Saudi Ophthalmological Society. 2014;28(3):203-6. Epub 2014/10/04. doi: 10.1016/j.sjopt.2014.06.001. PubMed PMID: 25278798; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc4181437.
- Lee JC, Chiu GB, Bach D, Bababeygy SR, Irvine J, Heur M. Functional and visual improvement with prosthetic replacement of the ocular surface ecosystem scleral lenses for irregular corneas. Cornea. 2013;32(12):1540-3. Epub 2013/10/23. doi: 10.1097/ICO.0b013e3182a73802. PubMed PMID: 24145631.
- Chiu GB, Edrington TB. When is it a Compliance Issue? Contact Lens Spectrum 2008;23(12):23.