Biography and Education
Dr. Michael A. Burnstine remains one of the most highly certified and recognized professionals in the field. He graduated from Harvard Medical School with an MD and completed an internship program in medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Burnstine brought his surgical expertise to Ann Arbor in Michigan where he completed his ophthalmology residency at the Kellogg Eye Center. There, he served as Chief Resident in Ophthalmology. He also received additional experience in the form of fellowship training from Allen Putterman.
As a fellow of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive surgery, Dr. Burnstine completed his fellowship training in these fields with the utmost in diligence and dedication. Dr. Burnstine is the Director of the Oculofacial Plastic Surgery fellowship at The USC Roski Eye Institute and an Associate Preceptor of the Oculofacial Plastic Surgery Fellowship at Eyesthetica, both sponsored by the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS).
Dr. Burnstine has received numerous awards from the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He received the Honor Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology, and the Merrill Reeh and Marvin Quickert awards from the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons.
In print media, Dr. Burnstine is a major contributor in numerous journals and text books. He provided information and data that advanced the field of oculofacial surgery and enhances the lives of patients around the world.
The USC Keck School of Medicine has also recognized Dr. Burnstine by naming him as an Associate Clinical Professor at the school. With this honor, Dr. Burnstine is a certified expert who surpasses the minimal qualifications of becoming a great surgeon.
In his off time, Dr. Burnstine enjoys his marriage to singer and songwriter Diana Lorden and spending time with their two children.
Dr. Burnstine is available for patient consultations at the Eyesthetica Pasadena, Valencia, and Downtown Los Angeles offices.
- Harvard Medical School, 1987-1992, M.D.
- Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, 1992-1993
- Ophthalmology, University of Michigan, 1993-1996
- Oculoplastics, Allen M. Putterman, M.D. UIC, Chicago, 1996-1997
Professional society memberships:
- Los Angeles County Medical Association, 1997-1999
- California Medical Association, 1997-1999
- Los Angeles Ophthalmology Society, 1997-
- California Academy of Ophthalmology, 1997-
- American Medical Association, 1987- 2000; 2008-
- Massachusetts Medical Society (MMS), 1987-
- Physicians for Human Rights, 1992-
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Fellow, 1998-
- American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Fellow, 1998-
- Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology, 2000-
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow, 2001-
- Branstrom Freshman Prize, 1983
- Class Honors, 1983-86
- James B. Angell Scholar, 1984-86
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1986
- Golden Key National Honor Society, 1986
- Honors College Award for Research, 1986
- Quickert Award for ASOPRS thesis, 1997
- Merrill Reeh Pathology Award, 2000
- Honor Award, AAO, 2004
- USC Roski Eye Institute Voluntary Faculty Award, 2015