The mission of the Keck-Schaeffer Initiative for Population Health is to combine empirical, multidisciplinary and policy-driven research with clinical insight to develop high value strategies to improve the health of vulnerable populations.
USC Roski Eye Institute
Department of Emergency Medicine
Schaeffer Center for Health Policy & Economics
Rohit Varma, MD, MPH
Dean, Keck School of Medicine of USC
Carl Chudnofsky, MD
Dana Goldman, PhD
Seth Seabury, PhD
Michael Menchine, MD, MPH
Hanke Heun-Johnson, PhD
Khristina Ipapo, MPH
The Keck-Schaeffer Initiative for Population Health Policy (KSI) is a collaboration between the Keck School of Medicine of USC and the USC Schaeffer Center for Health Policy & Economics. Housed in the USC Roski Eye Institute and created with support from the USC Department of Emergency Medicine and the Schaeffer Center, the KSI will foster multidisciplinary collaborations to generate new research and educational opportunities to study population health policy at the Keck School of Medicine.
The KSI is conducting cutting edge research designed to improve population health across several key areas. Currently, our ongoing work addresses the following topics:
- Expanding access to high quality vision care
- Improving behavioral health care in the US
- Reducing the burden of disability due to injury or chronic illness
- Fighting America’s opioid epidemic
In the News
- February 16, 2017– Schaeffer Center Faculty Gives First in Series of Presentations on State-Level Mental Healh Care Coverage and Access
- February 13, 2017– Seabury presents work on racial disparities in workplace injuries
- Arora S, Ford K, Terp S, Abramson T, Ruiz R, Camilon M, Coyne CJ, Lam CN, Menchine M, Burner E. Describing the evolution of mobile technology usage for Latino patients and comparing findings to national mHealth estimates. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016 Sep;23(5):979-83.
- Berona K, Abdi A, Menchine M, Mailhot T, Kang T, Seif D, Chilstrom M. Success of Ultrasound-Guided versus Landmark-Guided Arthrocentesis of Hip, Ankle, and Wrist in a Cadaver Model. Am J Emerg Med 2016 Oct 24 (16)30752-5.
- Conlon C, Asch S, Hanson M, Avins A, Levitan B, Roth C, Robbins M, Dworsky M, Seabury S, Nuckols T. Assessing the Value of High-Quality Care for Work-Associated Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in a Large Integrated Health Care System: Study Design. Perm J. 2016 Fall;20(4):87-95.
- Ford K, Menchine M, Burner E, Arora S, Inaba K, Demetriades D, Yersin B. Leadership and Teamwork in Trauma and Resuscitation. West J Emerg Med. 2016 Sep;17(5):549-56.
- Jacobson KR, Arora S, Walsh KB, Lora M, Merjavy S, Livermore S, Menchine M. High Feasibility of Empiric HIV Treatment for Patients With Suspected Acute HIV in an Emergency Department. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Jul 1;72(3):242-5.
- Jena AB, Schoemaker L, Bhattacharya J, Seabury SA. Authors’ Reply to Barbieri and Kovarik, Mariani, and Waxman and Kanzaria. Bmj. 2015;351:h6774.
- Jena AB, Schoemaker L, Bhattacharya J, Seabury SA. Physician Spending and Subsequent Risk of Malpractice Claims: Observational Study. Bmj. 2015;351:h5516.
- Lam CN, Arora S, Menchine M. Increased 30-Day Emergency Department Revisits Among Homeless Patients with Mental Health Conditions. West J Emerg Med. 2016 Sep;17(5):607-12.
- Levine M, Flores J, Seabury SA, Sanko S, Eckstein M. Impact of the Use of Regional Poison Control Centers in an Urban Ems Dispatch System. J Med Toxicol. Epub 2016 Oct 7.
- Ly DP, Seabury SA, Jena AB. Differences in Incomes of Physicians in the United States by Race and Sex: Observational Study. Bmj. 2016;353:i2923.
- MacEwan JP, Kamat SA, Duffy RA, Seabury S, Chou JW, Legacy SN, Hartry A, Eramo A, Karson C. Hospital Readmission Rates among Patients with Schizophrenia Treated with Long-Acting Injectables or Oral Antipsychotics. Psychiatr Serv. 2016 Jul 15:appips201500455.
- Menchine M, Zhou M, Lotfipour S, Chakravarthy B. Moving Beyond Screening: How Emergency Departments Can Help Extinguish the HIV/AIDS Epidemic. West J Emerg Med. 2016 Mar;17(2):135-8.
- Schwartz AL, Pesa J, Doshi D, Fastenau J, Seabury SA, Roberts ET, Grabowski DC. Medicaid Managed Care Penetration and Drug Utilization for Patients with Serious Mental Illness. Am J Manag Care. 2016 May;22(5):346-53.
- Seabury SA. Letter. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2016 Nov;22(11):1222.
- Shafrin J, Ganguli A, Gonzalez YS, Shim JJ, Seabury SA. Geographic Variation in the Quality and Cost of Care for Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2016 Dec;22(12):1472-81.
- Terp S, Seabury SA, Arora S, Eads A, Lam CN, Menchine M. Enforcement of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, 2005 to 2014. Ann Emerg Med. Epub 2016 Aug 1.
- Thornton Snider J, Seabury S, Lopez J, McKenzie S, Goldman DP. Impact of Type 2 Diabetes Medication Cost Sharing on Patient Outcomes and Health Plan Costs. Am J Manag Care. 2016 Jun;22(6):433-40.
- Undurraga Perl VJ, Leroux B, Cook MR, Watson J, Fair K, Martin DT, Kerby JD, Williams C, Inaba K, Wade CE, Cotton BA, Del Junco DJ, Fox EE, Scalea TM, Tilley BC, Holcomb JB, Schreiber MA; PROPPR Study Group. Damage-control resuscitation and emergency laparotomy: Findings from the PROPPR study. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016 Apr;80(4):568-74; discussion 574-5.
- Wagner JG, Schneberk T, Zobrist M, Hern HG, Jordan J, Boysen-Osborn M, Menchine M. What Predicts Performance? A Multicenter Study Examining the Association Between Resident Performance, Rank List Position, and United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1 Scores. J Emerg Med. 2016 Dec 9. pii: S0736-4679(16)30996-9.
Schaeffer Center Faculty Gives First in Series of Presentations on State-Level Mental Healh Care Coverage and AccessFebruary 16, 2017- Schaeffer Center Faculty Gives First in Series of Presentations on State-Level Mental Healh Care Coverage and Access