Faculty and researchers at the USC Roski Eye Institute have produced countless publications throughout its 40 year history. As leaders in the field of ophthalmology, we are committed to providing not only the best in eye care, but expanding the field through research and clinical trials. Publications produced by our ophthalmology team have led to countless advancements that impact not only how eye care is approached by doctors across the country, but also impact the lives of our patients and their treatment plans.
Below are some of the most recent publications produced by faculty at the USC Roski Eye Institute. For more information on our research and investigations, fill out our online contact form or call 323-442-6335.
Top 10 Most Recent Publications by USC Roski Eye Institute Researchers
David Cobrinik, MD, PhD
1. Xu XL, Singh HP, Wang L, Qi DL, Poulos BK, Abramson DH, Jhanwar SC, Cobrinik D. Rb suppresses human cone-precursor-derived retinoblastoma tumours. Nature. Oct 16, 2014; 514(7522):385-8.
Cheryl Craft, PhD
2. Rebrik TI Botchkina I, Craft CM, Korenbrot, JI. CNG-Modulin: the elusive modulator of cone photoreceptor cGMP-gated channel. Journal of Neuroscience. Feb 29 2012;32(9):3142- 53 and Cover.
Mark Humayun, MD, PhD and James Weiland, PhD
3. Nanduri D, Horasager A, Boynton G, Humayun MS, Greenberg RJ, Weiland JD. Frequency and Amplitude Modulation Have Different Effects on the Percepts Elicited by Retinal Stimulation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. Jan 20, 2012; 53 (1) 205-214.
James Weiland, PhD
4. Faraji B, Greenberg RJ, Humayun MS, Shellock F. Assessment of MRI issues for the Argus II retinal prosthesis. Magn Reson Imaging. Apr 30, 2012;3, 382-389.
Amir Kashani, MD, PhD
5. Lopez-Jamie GR, Kashani AH, Saati S, Martin G, Chader G, Humayun, MS. Acute Variations in Retinal Vascular Oxygen Content in a Rabbit Model of Retinal Venous Occlusion. PLOS ONE. Nov 6, 2012;7 (11), e50179.
Carmen A. Puliafito, MD, MBA
6. Dai C, Liu X, Zhang HF, Puliafito CA, Jiao S. Absolute retinal blood flow measurement with a dual-beam Doppler optical coherence tomography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. Dec 9, 2013; 54(13):7998-8003.
Arthur Toga, PhD
7. Novak NM, Stein JL, Medland SE, Hibar DP, Thompson PM, Toga AW. EnigmaVis: Online interactive visualization of genome-wide association studies of the Enhancing NeuroImaging Genetics through Meta-Analysis (ENIGMA) Consortium. Twin Res Hum Genet. 2012; 15(3):414-8.
Paul Thompson, PhD
8. Clark KA, Thompson PM, Shattuck DW, Van Horn JD. Mapping the human connectome. Neurosurgery. 2012; 71(1):1-5.
Rohit Varma, MD, MPH
9. Bressler NM, Doan QV, Gleeson M, Danese M, Bower JK, Selvin E, Dolan C, Fine J, Colman S, Turpcu A. Prevalence of and Risk Factor for Diabetic Macular Edema in the United States. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014; 132(11):1334-1340.
10. Tarczy-Hornoch K, Lin J, Cotter SA, Torres M, Varma R. Color vision deficiency in preschool children: the multi-ethnic pediatric eye disease study. Ophthalmology. July 2014; 121(7):1469-1474.
Top 10 Most Recent Publications by USC Roski Eye Institute Faculty Collaborators
Jeannie Chen, PhD
1. Moaven H, Koike Y, Jao C, Gurevich VV, Langen R, Chen J. Visual arrestin interactions with clathrin adaptor AP2 regulates photoreceptor cell survival. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2013; 110:9463-9468. Scott Fraser, PhD
Scott E. Fraser, PhD
2. Finglera J, Zawadzki RJ, Park SS, Morse LS, Schwartz DM, Fraser SE, Werner JS. Optical imaging of the chorioretinal vasculature in the living human eye. Proc Natl Acad Sci. Aug 27, 2013;110(35); 14354-14359.
Elizabeth Fini, PhD
3. Jeong S, Ledee DR, Gordon GM, Itakura T, Patel N, Martin A, Quinn J, Fini ME. Interaction of clusterin (CLU) and matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9): implications for epithelial homeostasis and inflammation. American Journal of Pathology. 2012;180:2028-39.
4. Corredor RG, Obeso BA, Wang Y, Trakhtenberg EF, Ponmattam J, Dvoriantchikova G, Ivanov D, Shestopalov VI, Goldberg JL, Fini ME (co-senior author), Bajenaru ML. Beta1 integrin-focal adhesion kinase (FAK) signaling modulates retinal ganglion cell survival. PLOS ONE, 2012, 7(10):e48332.
Sarah Hamm-Alvarez, PhD
5. Xu S, Ma L, Evans E, Okamoto T, Hamm- Alvarez SF. Polymeric immunoglobulin A receptor traffics through two distinct apically-targeted pathways in primary lacrimal gland acinar cells. J Cell Sci. 2013; 126:2704-2717.
J. Martin Heur, MD, PhD
6. Janga SR, Edman-Woolcott MC, Madrigal S, Shah M, Frousiakis S, Renduchintala K, Zhu J, Bricel S, Silka K, Bach D, Heur M, Christianakis S, Arkfeld DA, Stohl W. Tear Cathepsin S-A candidate biomarker for Sjögren’s syndrome. Arthritis Rheumatol. Jul 2014; 66(7):1872-81
Huizong Tao, PhD
7. Li YT, Ibrahim LA, Liu BH, Zhang LI, Tao HW. Linear transformation of thalamocortical input by intracortical excitation. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:1324-1330.
Bosco S. Tjan, PhD
8. Nandy AS, Tjan BS. Saccade-confounded image statistics explain visual crowding. Nature Neuroscience. 2012;15(3), 463–469.
David Hinton, MD
9. Sreekumar PG, Chothe P, Sharma KK, Baid R, Kompella U, Spee C, Kannan N, Manh C, Ryan SJ, Ganapathy V, Kannan R, Hinton DR. Antiapoptotic properties of alpha-crystallin-derived peptide chaperones and characterization of their uptake transporters in RPE cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013; 54:2787-2798.
Featured in the Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science Journal as “Research Highlight”: Stern JH. Mini-Chaperones for Early AMD. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013; 54:2799.
10. Kannan R, Spee C, Sreekumar PG, Dou G, Hinton DR. Protection of retina by αB crystallin in sodium iodate induced retinal degeneration. PLOS ONE. May, 29 2014;9(5):e98275.
Cutting Edge Care from the USC Roski Eye Institute
Whether you are looking to learn more about the research done by our team or are interested in an appointment with an ophthalmologist, the USC Roski Eye Institute is ready to help you. To learn more, call 323-442-6335 or complete the online contact form.
Next, read about our CME events.