Shinwu Jeong, PhD
Associate Professor of Research, Department of Ophthalmology
Ocular Surface Inflammation (Dry Eye)
Molecular and Cellular Cancer Biology
Gene Regulation and Epigenetics
Shinwu Jeong, PhD, focuses on understanding ocular surface biology, particularly the mechanism of action of clusterin protein in the ocular surface. He has discovered and characterized novel activities of clusterin, a secreted glycoprotein that is present in body fluid including the ocular surface epithelium, and tears. His study has shown that clusterin is important for ocular surface health and its eye drop can prevent dry eye development in animal model for human dry eye disease. Dr. Jeong pursues the translational approach of his finding for the benefit of dry eye patients. Dr. Jeong is also studying the activity and function of GPR158, an orphan G-protein coupled receptor, utilizing various methods, such as proteomics and bioinformatics tools.
Shinwu Jeong received a BS with Magna Cum Laude from the Department of Microbiology of Seoul National University, Korea, in 1984, and a MS in 1986 at the same department. He received a PhD in molecular biology from Purdue University in 1993. During his PhD program, he studied the mechanism of chromatin formation in vitro and in vivo. He moved to Fred Hutchison Cancer Research center for his post-doctoral training, focusing on the mechanism of gene transcriptional regulation, until 1996. After his training he joined the LG Life Sciences, Korea, as a senior research scientist. He was in charge of mechanism-based anti-cancer drug discovery team. In 2003, he moved back to US and joined USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center as a research scientist working on the mechanism of epigenetic modification of chromatin in cancer development. In 2010, he joined USC Institute for Genetic Medicine and Department of Ophthalmology as assistant professor of research.
- Seoul National University, Korea, BS, 1984
- Seoul National University, MS, 1986
- Purdue University, IN, PhD, 1993
- Post-Doctoral Training, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, WA, 1993-1996
- Sam-Il Cultural Foundation Scholarship Award, Recipient, 1982-84
- Woo-San Scholarship Award, Recipient, 1984-86
- James H. Zumberge Research and Innovation Fund Award, Recipient, 2011
- Fini ME, Schwartz SG, Gao X, Jeong S, Patel N, Itakura T, Price MO, Price FW, Jr., Varma R, Stamer WD. Steroid-Induced Ocular Hypertension/Glaucoma: Focus on Pharmacogenomics and Implications for Precision Medicine. Prog Retin Eye Res. Epub 2016 Sep 22.
- Fini ME, Bauskar A, Jeong S, Wilson MR. Clusterin in the Eye: An Old Dog with New Tricks at the Ocular Surface. Exp Eye Res. 2016 Jun;147:57-71.
- Gordon GM, LaGier AJ, Ponchel C, Bauskar A, Itakura T, Jeong S, Patel N, Fini ME. A Cell-Based Screening Assay to Identify Pharmaceutical Compounds That Enhance the Regenerative Quality of Corneal Repair. Wound Repair Regen. 2016 Jan-Feb;24(1):89-99.
- Wu PC, Tsai CL, Gordon GM, Jeong S, Itakura T, Patel N, et al. Chondrogenesis in scleral stem/progenitor cells and its association with form-deprived myopia in mice. Molecular vision. 2015;21:138-47. Epub 2015/02/17. PubMed PMID: 25684979; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc4323720.
- Patel N, Itakura T, Jeong S, Liao CP, Roy-Burman P, Zandi E, et al. Expression and functional role of orphan receptor GPR158 in prostate cancer growth and progression. PloS one. 2015;10(2):e0117758. Epub 2015/02/19. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0117758. PubMed PMID: 25693195; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc4333349.
- Jeong S, Patel N, Edlund CK, Hartiala J, Hazelett DJ, Itakura T, et al. Identification of a Novel Mucin Gene HCG22 Associated With Steroid-Induced Ocular Hypertension. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2015;56(4):2737-48. Epub 2015/03/31. doi: 10.1167/iovs.14-14803. PubMed PMID: 25813999; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc4416661.
- Sharma S, Gerke DS, Han HF, Jeong S, Stallcup MR, Jones PA, et al. Lysine methyltransferase G9a is not required for DNMT3A/3B anchoring to methylated nucleosomes and maintenance of DNA methylation in somatic cells. Epigenetics & chromatin. 2012;5(1):3. Epub 2012/01/31. doi: 10.1186/1756-8935-5-3. PubMed PMID: 22284370; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc3292817.
- Jeong S, Ledee DR, Gordon GM, Itakura T, Patel N, Martin A, et al. Interaction of clusterin and matrix metalloproteinase-9 and its implication for epithelial homeostasis and inflammation. The American journal of pathology. 2012;180(5):2028-39. Epub 2012/03/24. doi: 10.1016/j.ajpath.2012.01.025. PubMed PMID: 22440257; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc3349834.
- Sharma S, De Carvalho DD, Jeong S, Jones PA, Liang G. Nucleosomes containing methylated DNA stabilize DNA methyltransferases 3A/3B and ensure faithful epigenetic inheritance. PLoS genetics. 2011;7(2):e1001286. Epub 2011/02/10. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1001286. PubMed PMID: 21304883; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc3033376.
- Lee J, Kim KH, Jeong S. Discovery of a novel class of 2-aminopyrimidines as CDK1 and CDK2 inhibitors. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters. 2011;21(14):4203-5. Epub 2011/06/21. doi: 10.1016/j.bmcl.2011.05.081. PubMed PMID: 21684737.
- Gordon GM, Moradshahi N, Jeong S, Lane C, Fini ME. A novel mechanism of increased infections in contact lens wearers. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2011;52(12):9188-94. Epub 2011/11/01. doi: 10.1167/iovs.11-7658. PubMed PMID: 22039229; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc3253543.
- Kim DM, Won M, Chung CS, Kim S, Yim HJ, Jung SH, et al. JNK-mediated transcriptional upregulation of RhoB is critical for apoptosis of HCT-116 colon cancer cells by a novel diarylsulfonylurea derivative. Apoptosis : an international journal on programmed cell death. 2010;15(12):1540-8. Epub 2010/08/05. doi: 10.1007/s10495-010-0531-7. PubMed PMID: 20683666.
- Jeong S, Liang G, Sharma S, Lin JC, Choi SH, Han H, et al. Selective anchoring of DNA methyltransferases 3A and 3B to nucleosomes containing methylated DNA. Molecular and cellular biology. 2009;29(19):5366-76. Epub 2009/07/22. doi: 10.1128/mcb.00484-09. PubMed PMID: 19620278; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc2747980.
- Lee J, Choi H, Kim KH, Jeong S, Park JW, Baek CS, et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of 3,5-diaminoindazoles as cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters. 2008;18(7):2292-5. Epub 2008/03/21. doi: 10.1016/j.bmcl.2008.03.002. PubMed PMID: 18353638.
- Yoo CB, Jeong S, Egger G, Liang G, Phiasivongsa P, Tang C, et al. Delivery of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine to cells using oligodeoxynucleotides. Cancer research. 2007;67(13):6400-8. Epub 2007/07/10. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.can-07-0251. PubMed PMID: 17616700.
- Lin JC, Jeong S, Liang G, Takai D, Fatemi M, Tsai YC, et al. Role of nucleosomal occupancy in the epigenetic silencing of the MLH1 CpG island. Cancer cell. 2007;12(5):432-44. Epub 2007/11/13. doi: 10.1016/j.ccr.2007.10.014. PubMed PMID: 17996647.
- Lee J, Park T, Jeong S, Kim KH, Hong C. 3-Hydroxychromones as cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors: synthesis and biological evaluation. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters. 2007;17(5):1284-7. Epub 2006/12/21. doi: 10.1016/j.bmcl.2006.12.011. PubMed PMID: 17178224.
- Gal-Yam EN, Jeong S, Tanay A, Egger G, Lee AS, Jones PA. Constitutive nucleosome depletion and ordered factor assembly at the GRP78 promoter revealed by single molecule footprinting. PLoS genetics. 2006;2(9):e160. Epub 2006/09/28. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.0020160. PubMed PMID: 17002502; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc1574359.
- Egger G, Jeong S, Escobar SG, Cortez CC, Li TW, Saito Y, et al. Identification of DNMT1 (DNA methyltransferase 1) hypomorphs in somatic knockouts suggests an essential role for DNMT1 in cell survival. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2006;103(38):14080-5. Epub 2006/09/12. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0604602103. PubMed PMID: 16963560; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc1599915.
- Fatemi M, Pao MM, Jeong S, Gal-Yam EN, Egger G, Weisenberger DJ, et al. Footprinting of mammalian promoters: use of a CpG DNA methyltransferase revealing nucleosome positions at a single molecule level. Nucleic acids research. 2005;33(20):e176. Epub 2005/11/30. doi: 10.1093/nar/gni180. PubMed PMID: 16314307; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc1292996.
- Song HY, Joo JM, Kang JW, Kim DS, Jung CK, Kwak HS, et al. Lasonolide A: structural revision and total synthesis. The Journal of organic chemistry. 2003;68(21):8080-7. Epub 2003/10/11. doi: 10.1021/jo034930n. PubMed PMID: 14535786.
- Kim DM, Koo SY, Jeon K, Kim MH, Lee J, Hong CY, et al. Rapid induction of apoptosis by combination of flavopiridol and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha or TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand in human cancer cell lines. Cancer research. 2003;63(3):621-6. Epub 2003/02/05. PubMed PMID: 12566305.
- Cho B, Lee H, Jeong S, Bang YJ, Lee HJ, Hwang KS, et al. Promoter hypomethylation of a novel cancer/testis antigen gene CAGE is correlated with its aberrant expression and is seen in premalignant stage of gastric carcinoma. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 2003;307(1):52-63. Epub 2003/07/10. PubMed PMID: 12849980.
- Lee E, Song HY, Joo JM, Kang JW, Kim DS, Jung CK, et al. Synthesis of (+)-Lasonolide A: (-)-lasonolide A is the biologically active enantiomer. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters. 2002;12(24):3519-20. Epub 2002/11/22. PubMed PMID: 12443766.
- Lee H, Lee J, Lee S, Shin Y, Jung W, Kim JH, et al. A novel class of highly potent, selective, and non-peptidic inhibitor of Ras farnesyltransferase (FTase). Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters. 2001;11(23):3069-72. Epub 2001/11/21. PubMed PMID: 11714612.
- Jeong SW, Lang WH, Reeder RH. The yeast transcription terminator for RNA polymerase I is designed to prevent polymerase slippage. The Journal of biological chemistry. 1996;271(27):16104-10. Epub 1996/07/05. PubMed PMID: 8663252.
- Jeong SW, Lang WH, Reeder RH. The release element of the yeast polymerase I transcription terminator can function independently of Reb1p. Molecular and cellular biology. 1995;15(11):5929-36. Epub 1995/11/01. PubMed PMID: 7565745; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc230844.
- Jeong SW, Stein A. DNA sequence affects nucleosome ordering on replicating plasmids in transfected COS-1 cells and in vitro. The Journal of biological chemistry. 1994;269(3):2197-205. Epub 1994/01/21. PubMed PMID: 8294476.
- Jeong S, Stein A. Micrococcal nuclease digestion of nuclei reveals extended nucleosome ladders having anomalous DNA lengths for chromatin assembled on non-replicating plasmids in transfected cells. Nucleic acids research. 1994;22(3):370-5. Epub 1994/02/11. PubMed PMID: 7510391; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc523591.
- Hu CH, McStay B, Jeong SW, Reeder RH. xUBF, an RNA polymerase I transcription factor, binds crossover DNA with low sequence specificity. Molecular and cellular biology. 1994;14(5):2871-82. Epub 1994/05/01. PubMed PMID: 8164649; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc358655.
- Jeong SW, Lauderdale JD, Stein A. Chromatin assembly on plasmid DNA in vitro. Apparent spreading of nucleosome alignment from one region of pBR327 by histone H5. Journal of molecular biology. 1991;222(4):1131-47. Epub 1991/12/20. PubMed PMID: 1662288.
- Kim Y, Jeong S, Kim B, Lee M, Sul D, Kang H. Cloning of Bovine Growth Hormone cDNA and its Gene Expression of bGH cDNA in E. Coli. Korean Biochemical Journal. 1987;20:67-72.