Farzana Choudhury, MBBS, MPH, PhD
Assistant Professor of Research
Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Quality of Life
Ocular Health Care Utilization
Dr. Choudhury’s primary research interest is ocular epidemiology in population of ethnic minority and etiology of ocular diseases. She has been involved in several ocular epidemiology studies, which have provided prevalence and incidence of ocular outcomes in children and adults of different ethnicity. Dr. Choudhury is also interested in the effect of visual outcomes on visual functioning and quality of life in affected individuals and health-care utilization among minority population.
She is currently working on analyzing longitudinal data from LALES to assess the long-term incidence, progression and environmental as well as genetic risk factors for different visual impairment, lens opacity, diabetic retinopathy and AMD. Farzana is also studying the impact of racial differences in health care access and utilization in progression of eye diseases.
Dr. Choudhury is a physician, statistician and epidemiologist with over 15 years of experience. She received her medical degree from Dhaka Medical College and is Assistant Professor of Research at the USC Roski Eye Institute.
- Dhaka Medical College, Dhaka, Bangladesh (Medicine, Surgery),1995
- National Institute of Preventive and Social Medicine, Dhaka, Bangladesh (Epidemiology),2004
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA (Applied Biostatistics and Epidemiology),2008
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA (Epidemiology), 2012
Academic Achievement Award, Office of International Services, University of Southern California, April 18, 2008
- Varma R, Kim JS, Burkemper BS, Wen G, Torres M, Hsu C, Choudhury F, Azen SP, McKean-Cowdin R. Prevalence and Causes of Visual Impairment and Blindness in Chinese American Adults: The Chinese American Eye Study. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016 Jul 1;134(7):785-93.
- Varma R, Vajaranant TS, Burkemper B, Wu S, Torres M, Hsu C, Choudhury F, McKean-Cowdin R. Visual Impairment and Blindness in Adults in the United States: Demographic and Geographic Variations from 2015 to 2050. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016 Jul 1;134(7):802-9.
- Choudhury F, Varma R, Klein R, Gauderman WJ, Azen SP, McKean-Cowdin R. Age-Related Macular Degeneration and Quality of Life in Latinos: The Los Angeles Latino Eye Study. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016 Jun 1;134(6):683-90.
- Varma R, Choudhury F, Chen S, Wu S, Hsu C, Torres M, Klein R, Azen SP, McKean-Cowdin R. Prevalence of Age-Related Macular Degeneration in Chinese American Adults: The Chinese American Eye Study. JAMA Ophthalmol. Epub 2016 Apr 7.