Biography and Education
Dr. Xu attended Yale University where he graduated cum laude with a bachelor of science in biomedical engineering. He received his MD and PhD degrees from Columbia University where he was part of the NIH-sponsored Medical Scientist Training Program. He completed a well-received thesis studying how the brain uses eye position signals to coordinate accurate eye movements. Dr. Xu completed his residency in ophthalmology at the LAC+USC Medical Center and USC Roski Eye Institute, where he served as Chief Resident and was recognized for his academic and teaching achievements. He completed his glaucoma fellowship with Dr. Robert Weinreb at the UCSD Shiley Eye Institute and Hamilton Glaucoma Center.
Dr. Xu’s primary research interest is preventing vision loss and blindness in patients at risk for angle closure glaucoma (ACG), a common type of glaucoma. His research focuses on studying the pathophysiology of ACG and improving the care of angle closure patients. Dr. Xu collaborates with Dr. Rohit Varma on his population-based eye studies such as the Chinese American Eye Study to identify risk factors for ACG and other ocular diseases. Dr. Xu also uses advanced anterior segment imaging modalities including anterior segment optical coherence tomography (AS-OCT) and ultrasound biomicroscopy (UBM) to study the physiological and biomechanical properties of intraocular structures and aqueous outflow pathways. Finally, Dr. Xu works on designing biomedical devices to assess the function of anterior segment structures, such as the iris and trabecular meshwork.
- MD/PhD, Columbia University, New York, NY – 2012
- BS, Yale University, New Haven, CT – 2004
- Preliminary Internal Medicine, St. Luke’s – Roosevelt Medical Center, New York, NY- 2013
- Ophthalmology, LAC+USC Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA – 2016
- Glaucoma, Shiley Eye Institute and Hamilton Glaucoma Center, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA – 2017
Professional society memberships:
- American Glaucoma Society
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Los Angeles Society of Ophthalmology
- NIH Medical Scientist Training Program Training Grant, 2004 – 2008
- MD/PhD Student Research Symposium Award, 2008
- Columbia University Vision Sciences NEI Training Grant, 2008 – 2009
- MD/PhD Student Research Symposium Award, 2009
- Dr. Alfred P. Steiner Dean’s Day Research Award, 2011
- Medical Knowledge Award, 2015
- ARVO Annual Meeting Travel Grant Award, 2015
- Resident Teaching Award, University of Southern California, 2016
- Xu BY, Pardeshi AA, Burkemper B, Richter GM, Lin SC, McKean-Cowdin R, Varma R. Differences in Anterior Chamber Angle Assessments Between Gonioscopy, EyeCam, and Anterior Segment OCT: The Chinese American Eye Study. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2019 Mar 26;8(2):5.
- Chang R, Chu Z, Burkemper B, Lee GC, Fard A, Durbin MK, Reznik A, Xu BY, Kashani A, Varma R, Wang RK, Richter GM. Effect of Scan Size on Glaucoma Diagnostic Performance using OCT Angiography En Face Images of the Radial Peripapillary Capillaries. J Glaucoma. 2019 Feb 15. doi: 10.1097/IJG.0000000000001216. [Epub ahead of print]
- Xu BY, Pardeshi AA, Burkemper B, Richter GM, Lin SC, McKean-Cowdin R, Varma R. Quantitative Evaluation of Gonioscopic and EyeCam Assessments of Angle Dimensions Using Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2018 Dec 27;7(6):33.
- Xu BY, Penteado RC, Weinreb RN. Diurnal Variation of Optical Coherence Tomography Measurements of Static and Dynamic Anterior Segment Parameters. J Glaucoma. 2018 Jan;27(1):16-21.
- Huang AS, Camp A, Xu BY, Penteado RC, Weinreb RN. Aqueous Angiography: Aqueous Humor Outflow Imaging in Live Human Subjects. Ophthalmology. 2017 Aug;124(8):1249-51.
- Xu BY, Mai DD, Penteado RC, Saunders L, Weinreb RN. Reproducibility and Agreement of Anterior Segment Parameter Measurements Obtained Using the Casia2 and Spectralis Oct2 Optical Coherence Tomography Devices. J Glaucoma. 2017 Nov;26(11):974-9.
- Xu BY, Penteado RC, Weinreb RN. Diurnal Variation of Optical Coherence Tomography Measurements of Static and Dynamic Anterior Segment Parameters. J Glaucoma. 2017 Nov. [Epub ahead of print]