Biography and Education
Brian J. Song, MD, MPH is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Ophthalmology in the Glaucoma Division of the USC Department of Ophthalmology. He specializes in the medical, surgical, and laser treatment of glaucoma. Dr. Song received his undergraduate degree from Johns Hopkins University and his medical degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch. He then completed his ophthalmology residency at the Columbia University Medical Center – New York-Presbyterian Hospital followed by a glaucoma fellowship at the UCLA Stein Eye Institute. Following his fellowship, he joined the faculty of the Glaucoma Division at Massachusetts Eye and Ear of Harvard Medical School where has was an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology and received his Master of Public Health from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. He is particularly interested in optic disc imaging, bioinformatics, and deep learning to improve glaucoma detection and has presented his research nationally and internationally.
- MD, University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), 2008
- MPH, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, 2017
- Beth Israel Medical Center – Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 2009
- Columbia University – New York Presbyterian Hospital, 2009-2012
- UCLA Jules Stein Eye Institute, 2012-2013
Professional society memberships:
- American Glaucoma Society (AGS)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), Fellow
- American College of Surgeons (ACS), Fellow
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- Emerging Vision Scientist – National Alliance for Eye and Vision Research (NAEVR), Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Advocacy Day, 2017
- K12 Harvard Vision Clinical Scientist Development Program, 2013 – 2017
- Top Resident Research Presentation, New York Academy of Medicine – Ophthalmology Residents Night, 2012
- Lin MM, Rageh A, Turalba AV, Lee H, Falkenstein IA, Hoguet AS, Ojha P, Rao VS, Ratanawongphaibul K, Rhee DJ, Shen LQ, Song BJ, Chen TC. Differential efficacy of endocyclophotocoagulation in open angle glaucoma versus angle closure glaucoma. J Glaucoma 2019;28:473-480.
- Liu Y, Rajamanickam VP, Parikh R, Loomis S, Kloek CE, Kim LA, Hitchmoth DL, Song BJ, Pasquale LR. Diabetic retinopathy assessment variability among eye care providers in an urban teleretinal imaging program. Telemed J E Health 2019;25:301-308.
- Tsui I, Song BJ, Lin CS, Tsang SH. A practical approach to retinal dystrophies. Adv Exp Med Biol 2018;1085:245-259.
- Chou J, Cousins CC, Miller JB, Song BJ, Shen LQ, Kass MA, Wiggs JL, Pasquale LR. Fundus densitometry findings suggest optic disc hemorrhages in primary open-angle glaucoma have an arterial origin. Am J Ophthalmol 2018;187:108-116.
- Haleem MS, Han L, von Hemert J, Li B, Fleming A, Pasquale LR, Song BJ. A novel adaptive region-based edge smoothing model (ARESM) for automatic boundary detection and segmentation of optic disc and cup. J Med Syst 2017;42:20.
- Poon L, Sola-Del Valle D, Turalba A, Falkenstein I, Horsley M, Kim J, Song BJ, Takusagawa H, Wang K, Chen T. The ISNT rule: How often does it apply to disc photos and retinal nerve fiber layer measurements in the normal population? Am J Ophthalmol 2017;184:19-27.
- Song BJ, Aiello LP, Pasquale LR. Presence and risk factors for glaucoma in patients with diabetes. Curr Diab Rep 2016;16:124.
- Song BJ, Ramanathan M, Morales E, Law SK, Giaconi J, Coleman AL, Caprioli J. Trabeculectomy and combined phacoemulsification-trabeculectomy outcomes and risk factors for failure in primary angle closure glaucoma. J Glaucoma 2016;25:763-9.
- Haleem MS, Han L, van Hemert J, Li B, Fleming A, Pasquale L, Silva PS, Song BJ, Aiello LP. Regional image features model for classification between normal and glaucoma in fundus and SLO images. J Med Syst 2016;40:132.
- Song BJ, Caprioli J. New directions in the treatment of normal tension glaucoma. Indian J Ophthalmol 2014;62:529-37.
- Bitrian E, Song BJ, Caprioli J. Bleb revision for resolution of hypotony maculopathy following primary trabeculectomy. Am J Ophthalmol 2014;158:597-604.
- Lee MD, Song BJ, Odel JG, Sadun AA. Bilateral vision loss responsive to steroids. Surv Ophthalmol 2013;58:634-9.
- Santos R, Keegan D, Fuchs B, Song BJ, Avila MP, Simpson N, Sparrow J, Chang S. DFPE, partially fluorinated ether: a novel approach for experimental intravitreal tamponade. Retina 2013;33:120-7.
- Sin BH, Song BJ, Park SP. Aqueous vascular endothelial growth factor and endothelin-1 levels in branch retinal vein occlusion associated with normal tension glaucoma. J Glaucoma 2013;22:104-9.
- Law SK, Song BJ, Yu F, Kurbanyan K, Yang TA, Caprioli J. Hemorrhagic complications from glaucoma surgery in patients on anticoagulation therapy or antiplatelet therapy. Am J Ophthalmol 2008;145:736-46.
- Song BJ, Cai H, Chang S, Tsai JC, Forbes M, Del Priore LV. Intravitreal recombinant human erythropoietin: A safety study in rabbits. Curr Eye Res 2008;33:750-60.
- Song BJ, Tsang SH, Lin CS. Genetic models of retinal degeneration and targets for gene therapy. Gen Ther Mol Biol 2008;11:229-62.
- Tsai JC, Song BJ, Wu L, Forbes M. Erythropoietin: A candidate neuroprotective agent in the treatment of glaucoma. J Glaucoma 2007;16:567-71
- Tsui I, Song BJ, Lin CS, Tsang SH. A practical approach to retinal dystrophies. Retinal Physician 2007;4:18-26.
- Law SK, Song BJ, Fang E, Caprioli J. Feasibility and efficacy of a massive switch from latanoprost to bimatoprost in glaucoma patients in a pre-paid health maintenance organization. Ophthalmology 2005;112:2123-30.