Biography and Education
Brian Toy, MD, is an assistant professor at the USC Roski Eye Institute. He graduated magna cum laude from the University of California, Berkeley, with a degree in bioengineering, received an MD with distinction from the University of California, San Francisco, and completed a clinical research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health. He completed an internship at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, a major county healthcare system in the Bay Area, and then completed an ophthalmology residency at Stanford University. Dr. Toy’s professional interests include clinical informatics, uveitis, retinal imaging, telemedicine and safety net care, particularly as applied to diabetic retinopathy. Outside of work, he enjoys hiking, skiing, and spending time with friends and family.
Dr. Toy’s research interests include: clinical informatics, retinal imaging, telemedicine, uveitis/ ocular immunology and inflammation.
- BS, UC Berkeley
- MD, UC San Francisco
- Transitional Internship, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
- Ophthalmology, Stanford University
- Vitreoretinal Surgery, USC Roski Eye Institute
Professional society memberships:
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- Stanford Society of Physician Scholars Research Grant, 2016
- UCSF-PUMC Medical Exchange Program, 2012
- NIH Clinical Research Training Fellowship, 2011
- Retina Research Foundation ARVO Grant, 2010
- UCSF Ralston Scholarship, 2008
- UCSF Dean’s Summer Research Fellowship, 2007
- Brain Research Fellowship, 2006
- UCB Chancellor’s Scholar, 2003 – 2007
- Wells Fargo Scholarship, 2003
- South Bay Chinese Service Club Award, 2003
- Toy BC, Schachar IH, Tan GSW, Moshfeghi DM. Reply. Ophthalmology. 2017 Jun;124(6):e53.
- Toy BC, Manche EE. Vector Analysis of 1-Year Astigmatic Outcomes From a Randomized Fellow Eye Comparison of Photorefractive Keratectomy Using 2 Excimer Laser Platforms. Eye Contact Lens. 2016 Dec 19.
- Moussa K, Bloomer MM, Schwartz DM, Pan CK, Toy BC, Crawford JB, Afshar AR. Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy: A Clinicopathologic Study. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2017 Winter;11 Suppl 1:S128-S131.
- Toy BC, Schachar IH, Tan GS, Moshfeghi DM. Chronic Vascular Arrest as a Predictor of Bevacizumab Treatment Failure in Retinopathy of Prematurity. Ophthalmology. 2016 Oct;123(10):2166-75.
- Toy BC, Aguinaldo T, Eliason J, Egbert J. Non-Mydriatic Fundus Camera Screening for Referral-Warranted Diabetic Retinopathy in a Northern California Safety-Net Setting. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2016 Jul 1;47(7):636-42.
- Mercado CL, Toy BC, Kistler HB, Moshfeghi DM. Choroidal Metastases From Cutaneous Melanoma. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2016 May 1;47(5):497.
- Toy BC, Myung DJ, He L, Pan CK, Chang RT, Polkinhorne A, Merrell D, Foster D, Blumenkranz MS. Smartphone-Based Dilated Fundus Photography and Near Visual Acuity Testing as Inexpensive Screening Tools to Detect Referral Warranted Diabetic Eye Disease. Retina. 2016 May;36(5):1000-8.
- Toy BC, Yu C, Manche EE. Vector analysis of 1-year astigmatic outcomes from a prospective, randomized, fellow eye comparison of wavefront-guided and wavefront-optimized LASIK in myopes. J Refract Surg. 2015 May;31(5):322-7.
- Mukhtar NA, Toy BC, Burman BE, Yu A, Chen AH, Berman P, Nguyen T, Chan D, Hammer H, McCulloch CE, Khalili M. Assessment of HBV Preventive Services in a Medically Underserved Asian and Pacific Islander Population Using Provider and Patient Data. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Jan;30(1):68-74.
- Nicholson BP, Nigam D, Toy B, Stetson PF, Agrón E, Jacobs-El N, Cunningham D, Cukras C, Wong W, Wiley H, Chew E, Ferris F, Meyerle CB. Effect of Ranibizumab on High-Speed Indocyanine Green Angiography and Minimum Intensity Projection Optical Coherence Tomography Findings in Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Retina. 2015 Jan;35(1):58-68.
- Burman BE, Mukhtar NA, Toy BC, Nguyen TT, Chen AH, Yu A, Berman P, Hammer H, Chan D, McCulloch CE, Khalili M. Hepatitis B Management in Vulnerable Populations: Gaps in Disease Monitoring and Opportunities for Improved Care.Dig Dis Sci. 2014 Jan;59(1):46-56.
- Toy BC, Krishnadev N, Indaram M, Cunningham D, Cukras CA, Chew EY, Wong WT. Drusen Regression is Associated with Local Changes in Fundus Autofluorescence in Intermediate Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013 Sep;156(3):532-542.e1.
- Meleth AD, Toy BC, Nigam D, Agrón E, Murphy RP, Chew EY, Wong WT. Prevalence and Progression of Pigment Clumping Associated with Idiopathic Macular Telangiectasia Type 2. Retina. 2013 Apr;33(4):762-70.
- Toy BC, Agrón E, Nigam D, Chew EY, Wong WT. Longitudinal Analysis of Retinal Hemangioblastomatosis and Visual Function in Ocular von Hippel-Lindau Disease. Ophthalmology. 2012 Dec;119(12):2622-30.
- Margolis EB, Toy B, Himmels P, Morales M, Fields HL. Identification of Rat Ventral Tegmental Area GABAergic Neurons. PLoS One. 2012;7(7):e42365.
- Toy BC, Koo E, Cukras C, Meyerle CB, Chew EY, Wong WT. Treatment of Nonneovascular Idiopathic Macular Telangiectasia Type 2 with Intravitreal Ranibizumab: Results of a Phase II Clinical Trial. Retina. 2012 May;32(5):996-1006.
- Sheu LC, Toy BC, Kwahk E, Yu A, Adler J, Lai CJ. A Model for Interprofessional Health Disparities Education: Student-Led Curriculum on Chronic Hepatitis B Infection. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 May;25 Suppl 2:S140-5.