Biography and Education
Bibiana J. Reiser, MD, MS, graduated from the Keck School of Medicine of USC in 2001 and completed her residency at UCI Medical Center. She is a pediatric anterior segment surgeon with dual fellowship training in both adult cornea and refractive surgery and pediatric cornea and glaucoma surgery. She is one of the few surgeons worldwide who performs both high volume pediatric corneal transplantation and pediatric laser vision correction. Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles (CHLA) is also one of the few ophthalmology centers in the world with a dedicated excimer laser in the operating room in which surgery may be performed under general anesthesia. This allows laser treatment in children who would otherwise not be able to tolerate the procedure.
Dr. Reiser has published multiple peer-reviewed articles in major academic journals, teaches residents at the University of Southern California, and is a recipient of the Knights Templar Educational Foundation Grant for her commitment to higher education. Her expertise in innovation and education in advanced surgical techniques of glaucoma and corneal disease in children has received recognition and grant support. She translates her skills to teaching residents cataract surgery. Dr. Reiser has had several peer-reviewed publications.
Dr. Reiser investigates the rejection mechanisms in pediatric corneal transplant surgery, determining physiologic cupping in the pediatric population (normal appearance of the optic nerve), and determining the safety and efficacy of pediatric refractive surgery.
- MD, Keck School of Medicine of USC, 2001
- UCI Medical Center – Internal Medicine, 2001 – 2002
- UCI Medical Center – Ophthalmology, 2003 – 2006
- USC Roski Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology – Cornea/Refractive Surgery, 2006-2007
- Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles – Pediatric Cornea/Cataract/Glaucoma, 2007-2008
Professional society memberships:
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- National Association of Professional Women
- California Association of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- Max Fine Cornea Society
- National Merit Scholar, 1988
- AAO Aspiring Writers, 2005
- Knights Templar Educational Foundation Grant, 2008
- America’s Top Ophthalmologists, 2009
- Southern California Super Doctors, 2012-present
- Los Angeles Magazine, Top Doctors, 2012-present
- Award for Excellence in Resident Teaching, Department of Ophthalmology Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 2012
- Pasadena Magazine Top Doctors in Ophthalmology, 2013 – 2014
- Loh AR, Edmunds B, Peter Campbell J, Reznick LG, Reiser BJ, Huang D, Chiang MF. Ophthalmic Imaging in Children: Current Practice Patterns and Perceived Barriers. J AAPOS. 2018 Mar 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Garg N, Chang TC, Reiser BJ, Cavuoto KM. A Novel Characterization of Posterior Keratoconus Using Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography in an Infant: A Case Report. BMC Ophthalmol. 2015;15:158.
- Li Y, Meisler DM, Tang M, Lu AT, Thakrar V, Reiser BJ, et al. Keratoconus diagnosis with optical coherence tomography pachymetry mapping. Ophthalmology. 2008;115(12):2159-66. Epub 2008/11/04. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2008.08.004. PubMed PMID: 18977536; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc2652571.
- Reiser BJ, Mok A, Kukes G, Kim JW. Non-AIDS-related Kaposi sarcoma involving the tarsal conjunctiva and eyelid margin. Archives of ophthalmology (Chicago, Ill : 1960). 2007;125(6):838-40. Epub 2007/06/15. doi: 10.1001/archopht.125.6.838. PubMed PMID: 17563000.
- Sarayba MA, Shamie N, Reiser BJ, Sweet PM, Taban M, Graff JM, et al. Fluoroquinolone therapy in Mycobacterium chelonae keratitis after lamellar keratectomy. Journal of cataract and refractive surgery. 2005;31(7):1396-402. Epub 2005/08/18. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrs.2004.12.051. PubMed PMID: 16105613.
- Reiser BJ, Ignacio TS, Wang Y, Taban M, Graff JM, Sweet P, et al. In vitro measurement of rabbit corneal epithelial thickness using ultrahigh resolution optical coherence tomography. Veterinary ophthalmology. 2005;8(2):85-8. Epub 2005/03/15. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-5224.2005.00345.x. PubMed PMID: 15762921.
- Albini TA, Wang RC, Reiser B, Zamir E, Wu GS, Rao NA. Microglial stability and repopulation in the retina. The British journal of ophthalmology. 2005;89(7):901-3. Epub 2005/06/21. doi: 10.1136/bjo.2004.060293. PubMed PMID: 15965175; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc1772746.
- Reiser BJ, Chuck RS. Penetration of fluoroquinolone antibiotics in the rabbit cornea as detected by confocal microscopy. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2002;44:U325.
- Priya K, Madhavan HN, Reiser BJ, Biswas J, Saptagirish R, Narayana KM, et al. Association of herpesviruses in the aqueous humor of patients with serpiginous choroiditis: a polymerase chain reaction-based study. Ocular immunology and inflammation. 2002;10(4):253-61. Epub 2003/07/11. PubMed PMID: 12854034.
- >Reiser BJ, Prika K, Madhavan HN, Biswas J, Wang XC, Rao NA. Varicella Zoster Virus Implicated in Serpiginous Choroidopathy using PCR amplification of anterior chamber taps. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2001;42(2):S572.
- Reiser BJ, Read RW, Rao NA. Antigenic determinants in birdshot choroidoretinopathy as identified by the Western Blot. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2000;41:S4118.