Biography and Education
Gloria B. Chiu, OD, FAAO, FSLS completed her Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Berkeley. She remained at the University of California, Berkeley, where she obtained her Doctor of Optometry degree in 2008. Following completion of her residency in Cornea and Contact Lenses at Southern California College of Optometry, Dr. Chiu pursued further fellowship training in Prosthetic Replacement of the Ocular Surface Ecosystem (PROSE) treatment at the Boston Foundation for Sight. Dr. Chiu developed and supervises the USC PROSE service and is actively conducting research in the areas of irregular corneas and ocular surface disease.
Investigation of the outcomes and efficacy of PROSE and scleral lens treatment at the USC Roski Eye Institute in Los Angeles is done by conducting retrospective and prospective evaluation of data from patients who received the treatment. This information will be helpful to physicians and clinicians who are in search of additional forms of treatment for intractable ocular surface and corneal abnormalities. Dr. Chiu is also actively conducting microbiology studies to evaluate saline solutions commonly used with scleral lens wear and potential risks for microbial infections.
- Bachelor of Arts, University of California, Berkeley, 2004
- Doctor of Optometry, University of California, Berkeley, 2008
- Southern California College of Optometry, Cornea and Contact Lenses
- Boston Foundation for Sight, PROSE Treatment
Professional society memberships:
- Member, Scleral Lens Education Society
- Fellow, American Academy of Optometry
- Gas Permeable Lens Institute (GPLI) Advisory Board
- Member, American Academy of Optometry
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- American Optometric Association
- California Optometric Association
- Beta Sigma Kappa, Honor Society, Berkeley, California
- UCBSO Early Admittance Scholarship, 2004
- UCBSO Optometry Performance Grant, 2005
- AOSA Vistakon Travel Grant, 2006
- UCBSO Optometry Leadership and Service Grant, 2006
- Michael Harris Student Clinical Excellence Award, 2007
- UCBSO Student Leadership and Service Award, 2007
- Stephen & Doris Chun Professional Student Endowed Scholarship, 2008
- Walmart Optical Scholarship, 2008
- Alcon Excellence Award – Case Study Award, 2008
- Eschenbach Low Vision Award, 2008
- Gas Permeable Contact Lens Clinical Excellence Award, 2008
- George W. Mertz Contact Lens Residency Award, 2009
- AOA Contact Lens and Cornea Section Resident Research Award, 2009
- “The Corneal Correction: How a Specialty Scleral Lens Restored a Patient’s Sight,” June 15, 2021, Grateful Patient Blog Post
- Chahal JS, Heur M, Chiu GB. Prosthetic Replacement of the Ocular Surface Ecosystem Scleral Lens Therapy for Exposure Keratopathy. Eye Contact Lens. 2017 Jul;43(4):240-4.
- Tepelus TC, Chiu GB, Huang J, Huang P, Sadda SR, Irvine J, Lee OL. Correlation between Corneal Innervation and Inflammation Evaluated with Confocal Microscopy and Symptomatology in Patients with Dry Eye Syndromes: A Preliminary Study. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2017 May. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tepelus TC, Chiu GB, Maram J, Huang J, Chopra V, Sadda SR, Lee OL. Corneal Features in Ocular Graft-Versus-Host Disease by in Vivo Confocal Microscopy. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2017 Dec;255(12):2389-97.
- Chahal JS, Heur M, Chiu GB. Prosthetic Replacement of the Ocular Surface Ecosystem Scleral Lens Therapy for Exposure Keratopathy. Eye Contact Lens. 2016 May 11.
- Chiu GB, Theophanous C, Irvine JA. Prose Treatment in Atypical Ocular Graft-Versus-Host Disease. Optom Vis Sci. 2016 Nov;93(11):1444-8.
- DeLoss KS, Le HG, Gire A, Chiu GB, Jacobs DS, Carrasquillo KG. Prose Treatment for Ocular Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease as a Clinical Network Expands. Eye Contact Lens. 2016 Jul;42(4):262-6.
- Nguyen AH, Dastiridou AI, Chiu GB, Francis BA, Lee OL, Chopra V. Glaucoma Surgical Considerations for Prose Lens Use in Patients with Ocular Surface Disease. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2016 Aug;39(4):257-61.
- Theophanous C, Irvine JA, Parker P, Chiu GB. Use of Prosthetic Replacement of the Ocular Surface Ecosystem Scleral Lenses in Patients with Ocular Chronic Graft-versus-Host Disease. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation : Journal of the American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2015. Epub 2015/08/04. doi: 10.1016/j.bbmt.2015.07.027. PubMed PMID: 26234721.
- Samimi DB, Chiu GB, Burnstine MA. PROSE Scleral Lens: A Novel Aid for Staged Eyelid Reconstruction. Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2014;30(5):e119-21. Epub 2013/12/10. doi: 10.1097/IOP.0b013e3182a64fc9. PubMed PMID: 24317103.
- Heur M, Bach D, Theophanous C, Chiu GB. Prosthetic Replacement of the Ocular Surface Ecosystem Scleral Lens Therapy for Patients with Ocular Symptoms of Chronic Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2014;158(1):49-54. Epub 2014/04/05. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2014.03.012. PubMed PMID: 24699156.
- Chiu GB, Bach D, Theophanous C, Heur M. Prosthetic Replacement of the Ocular Surface Ecosystem (PROSE) Scleral Lens for Salzmann’s Nodular Degeneration. Saudi Journal of Ophthalmology : Official Journal of the Saudi Ophthalmological Society. 2014;28(3):203-6. Epub 2014/10/04. doi: 10.1016/j.sjopt.2014.06.001. PubMed PMID: 25278798; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc4181437.
- Lee JC, Chiu GB, Bach D, Bababeygy SR, Irvine J, Heur M. Functional and Visual Improvement with Prosthetic Replacement of the Ocular Surface Ecosystem Scleral Lenses for Irregular Corneas. Cornea. 2013;32(12):1540-3. Epub 2013/10/23. doi: 10.1097/ICO.0b013e3182a73802. PubMed PMID: 24145631.
- Chiu GB, Edrington TB. When is it a Compliance Issue? Contact Lens Spectrum 2008;23(12):23.