Biography and Education
Grace M. Richter, MD, MPH, graduated summa cum laude from Washington University in St. Louis, where she majored in biochemistry and international studies. She then went to Columbia University for her Medical Degree, as well as her Masters in Public Health. After completing her ophthalmology residency at the University of Southern California, she served as the assistant chief of service for ophthalmology at the Los Angeles County Medical Center. She then completed a fellowship as the David Mays II Glaucoma Fellow at UCLA Jules Stein Eye Institute prior to returning to USC. Her research endeavors focus on ocular epidemiology and improving glaucoma diagnostics, and she has published and presented widely in these areas. Finally, Dr. Richter is passionate about international ophthalmology and enjoys volunteering her time to perform and teach manual small incision extracapsular cataract surgery in developing areas of the world.
Dr. Richter has significant experience in ocular epidemiology and continues to work with Dr. Rohit Varma on his population-based eye studies such as the Los Angeles Latino Eye Study. She is also interested in recent advancements in minimally invasive glaucoma surgery, and has written a comprehensive review on this topic. Dr. Richter is interested in glaucoma imaging techniques in order to improve our ability to diagnose glaucoma. Most recently, she is studying optical coherence tomography angiography (OCTA) to characterize the optic nerve head in glaucoma, and is interested in using OCTA to characterize vascular risk factors for glaucoma. Finally, Dr. Richter is interested in studying the long-term effects of dietary habits on various eye diseases, including cataract, macular degeneration, and glaucoma.
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2009
- MPH, Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health, 2009
- Preliminary Internal Medicine, St. Mary’s Medical Center, Long Beach, California, 2010
- University of Southern California, Department of Ophthalmology (LAC+ USC medical Center), Los Angeles, California, 2013
- Glaucoma, UCLA Jules Stein Eye Institute, 2015
Professional society memberships:
- American Glaucoma Society
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Los Angeles Society of Ophthalmology
- Society of Heed Fellows
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Grant, Washington University, 2002
- Robert C. Byrd Scholar, 2000-2003
- Charles E. Thoele Scholarship, 2001-2003
- Washington University Arts and Sciences Scholar, 2000-2004
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, 2004
- NIH Research Fellowship, Columbia University, 2005
- Louis and Rachel Rudin Scholar, Columbia University, 2005-2007
- Wyman Merit Scholarship in Public Health, Columbia University, 2007-2008
- ARVO National Eye Institute Travel Grant, 2009
- Department of Ophthalmology, USC, Travel Grant, 2011
- Department of Ophthalmology, USC, Research Travel Grant, 2012
- Department of Ophthalmology, USC, Medical Knowledge Award, 2011, 2012
- Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Fellow, 2014-2015
- Richter GM, Madi I, Chu Z, Burkemper B, Chang R, Zaman A, Sylvester B, Reznik A, Kashani A, Wang RK, Varma R. Structural and Functional Associations of Macular Microcirculation in the Ganglion Cell-Inner Plexiform Layer in Glaucoma Using Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography. J Glaucoma. 2018 Mar;27(3):281-90.
- Kashani AH, Chen CL, Gahm JK, Zheng F, Richter GM, Rosenfeld PJ, Shi Y, Wang RK. Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography: A Comprehensive Review of Current Methods and Clinical Applications. Prog Retin Eye Res. 2017 Sep;60:66-100.
- Richter GM. The Promise of Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography in Glaucoma. Ophthalmology. 2017 Nov;124(11):1577-8.
- Richter GM, Wang M, Jiang X, Wu S, Wang D, Torres M, Choudhury F, Varma R. Ocular Determinants of Refractive Error and Its Age- and Sex-Related Variations in the Chinese American Eye Study. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017 Jul;135(7):724-32.
- Zhang J, Zhang Y, Li Y, Chen R, Shung KK, Richter G, Zhou Q. Correlation of Iop with Corneal Acoustic Impedance in Porcine Eye Model. Biomed Res Int. 2017 May;2017:2959717.
- Chen X, Richter GM, Caprioli J, McCannel TA. Macular Microcysts in Schwartz-Matsuo Syndrome. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2016 Dec. [Epub ahead of print]
- Richter GM, Coleman AL. Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery: Current Status and Future Prospects. Clin Ophthalmol. 2016;10:189-206.
- Richter GM, Zhang X, Tan O, Francis BA, Chopra V, Greenfield DS, Varma R, Schuman JS, Huang D. Regression Analysis of Optical Coherence Tomography Disc Variables for Glaucoma Diagnosis. J Glaucoma. 2016 Aug;25(8):634-42.
- Richter GM, Torres M, Choudhury F, Azen SP, Varma R. Risk factors for cortical, nuclear, posterior subcapsular, and mixed lens opacities: the Los Angeles Latino Eye Study. Ophthalmology. 2012;119(3):547-54. Epub 2011/12/27. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2011.09.005. PubMed PMID: 22197433; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc3293944.
- Richter GM, Choudhury F, Torres M, Azen SP, Varma R. Risk factors for incident cortical, nuclear, posterior subcapsular, and mixed lens opacities: the Los Angeles Latino eye study. Ophthalmology. 2012;119(10):2040-7. Epub 2012/07/10. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2012.05.001. PubMed PMID: 22771048; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc3464350.
- Varma R, Richter GM, Torres M, Foong AW, Choudhury F, Azen SP. Four-year incidence and progression of lens opacities: the Los Angeles Latino Eye Study. American journal of ophthalmology. 2010;149(5):728-34.e1-2. Epub 2010/02/26. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2009.11.012. PubMed PMID: 20181327; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc2867354.
- Chiang MF, Wang L, Kim D, Scott K, Richter GM, Kane S, et al. Diagnostic performance of a telemedicine system for ophthalmology: advantages in accuracy and speed compared to standard care. AMIA Annual Symposium proceedings / AMIA Symposium AMIA Symposium. 2010;2010:111-5. Epub 2011/02/25. PubMed PMID: 21346951; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc3041451.
- Richter GM, Williams SL, Starren J, Flynn JT, Chiang MF. Telemedicine for retinopathy of prematurity diagnosis: evaluation and challenges. Survey of ophthalmology. 2009;54(6):671-85. Epub 2009/08/12. doi: 10.1016/j.survophthal.2009.02.020. PubMed PMID: 19665742; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc2760626.
- Richter GM, Sun G, Lee TC, Chan RV, Flynn JT, Starren J, et al. Speed of telemedicine vs ophthalmoscopy for retinopathy of prematurity diagnosis. American journal of ophthalmology. 2009;148(1):136-42.e2. Epub 2009/04/21. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2009.02.002. PubMed PMID: 19376496; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc2820880.
- Richter GM, Chung J, Azen SP, Varma R. Prevalence of visually significant cataract and factors associated with unmet need for cataract surgery: Los Angeles Latino Eye Study. Ophthalmology. 2009;116(12):2327-35. Epub 2009/10/10. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2009.05.040. PubMed PMID: 19815276; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc2787839.
- Gaut JP, Yeh GC, Tran HD, Byun J, Henderson JP, Richter GM, et al. Neutrophils employ the myeloperoxidase system to generate antimicrobial brominating and chlorinating oxidants during sepsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2001;98(21):11961-6. Epub 2001/10/11. doi: 10.1073/pnas.211190298. PubMed PMID: 11593004; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc59821.