Biography and Education
Dr. Hossein Ameri graduated from Tehran University of Medical Sciences and then served as a physician and director of Nahavand Health Network in Iran. He received his ophthalmology and vitreoretinal surgery training in Ireland, where he was also an official lecturer at University College Cork and was a founding member of the Irish Retinal Prosthesis Group. Dr. Ameri then moved to Los Angeles for a research fellowship and became an Assistant Professor of Research Ophthalmology. He was involved in preclinical studies of Argus II and the development of wide-field retinal prostheses.
In addition, he produced quality research on retinal vascular disease, retinal angiogenesis, and ocular ultrasound. Dr. Ameri completed his internship in general surgery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and moved to Texas for his ophthalmology residency and PhD training at the University of Texas Medical Branch.
During his ophthalmology residency, he earned a PhD in neuroscience at the Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering of the University of Texas Medical Branch. Dr. Ameri obtained additional fellowship training in vitreoretinal surgery at USC Roski Eye Institute. Currently, Dr. Ameri is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology and the Director of USC Retinal Degeneration Center. An accomplished researcher, he holds a number of U.S. patents on retinal prostheses and other devices.
Dr. Ameri moved to Los Angeles for a research fellowship and became an Assistant Professor of Research Ophthalmology. He was involved in preclinical studies of Argus II and the development of wide-field retinal prostheses. In addition, he produced quality research on retinal vascular disease, retinal angiogenesis, and ocular ultrasound. As Director of the USC Retinal Degeneration Center, Dr. Hossein Ameri’s research areas include gene therapy for retinal dystrophies, stem cell transplantation, wide-field retinal prosthesis, and retinal angiogenesis. He is also the principal investigator for the Argus II study that is currently enrolling.
- MD, Tehran University of Medical Science, 1993
- FRCSI, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 2000
- MRCOphth, Royal College of Ophthalmologists in London,2000
- PhD, University of Texas Medical Branch, 2013
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, General Surgery, 2008-2009
- University of Texas Medical Branch, Ophthalmology, 2009-2012
- USC Roski Eye Institute, Vitreoretinal Surgery, 2013-2015
Professional society memberships:
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, 2002-present
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2004-present
- American Society of Retina Specialists, 2014-present
- International Society for Clinical Electrophysiology of Vision, 2016-present
- Academic Achievement Award In Recognition of Exceptional Academic Performance, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, June 2012
- Leadership Award In Recognition of Exemplary Performance as a Resident Leader, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, June 2012
- Senior Resident Teaching Award: Outstanding commitment to Educating Junior Colleagues with Clinical Teaching and Scholarly Lecture and Review, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, June 2012
- Heed Residents Retreat, Heed Ophthalmic Foundation, September 2011
- Academic Achievement Award, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, June 2011
- Residency Academic Achievement Award, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, June 2010
- International Travel Grant Award, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, May 2007
- Basic Science Award, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Southern California, May 2007
- Abdallah W, Li W, Weiland J, Humayun M, Ameri H. Implantation of Multiple Suprachoroidal Electrode Arrays in Rabbits. J Curr Ophthalmol. 2018 Mar;30(1):68-73.
- Ameri H. Prospect of Retinal Gene Therapy Following Commercialization of Voretigene Neparvovec-Rzyl for Retinal Dystrophy Mediated by Rpe65 Mutation. J Curr Ophthalmol. 2018 Mar;30(1):1-2.
- Do JL, Olmos de Koo LC, Ameri H. Atypical Chronic Central Serous Chorioretinopathy with Cystoid Macular Edema: Therapeutic Response to Medical and Laser Therapy. J Curr Ophthalmol. 2017 Jun;29(2):133-5.
- Koulisis N, Kim AY, Chu Z, Shahidzadeh A, Burkemper B, Olmos de Koo LC, Moshfeghi AA, Ameri H, Puliafito CA, Isozaki VL, Wang RK, Kashani AH. Quantitative Microvascular Analysis of Retinal Venous Occlusions by Spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography. PLoS One. 2017 Apr;12(4):e0176404.
- Storey PP, Ter-Zakarian A, Philander SA, Olmos de Koo L, George M, Humayun MS, Rodger DC, Ameri H. Visual and Anatomical Outcomes after Diabetic Traction and Traction-Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment Repair. Retina. 2017 Aug. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ediriwickrema LS, Chhadva P, Rodger DC, Ameri H, Rao NA. Intravenous Immunoglobulin in the Treatment of Juvenile Retinitis Pigmentosa-Associated Cystoid Macular Edema and Uveitis. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2016 Nov 08.
- Kim EL, Patel SR, George MS, Ameri H. Ochroconis Gallopava Endophthalmitis Successfully Treated with Intravitreal Voriconazole and Amphotericin B. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2016 Dec. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mandell JB, Kim AY, Shahidzadeh A, Ameri H, Puliafito CA, Moshfeghi AA. Widefield Oct Findings of a Patient with Stellate Nonhereditary Idiopathic Foveomacular Retinoschisis. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2016 Aug 1;47(8):774-7.
- Matsunaga DR, Yi JJ, De Koo LO, Ameri H, Puliafito CA, Kashani AH. Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography of Diabetic Retinopathy in Human Subjects. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging Retina. 2015;46(8):796-805. Epub 2015/10/03. doi: 10.3928/23258160-20150909-03. PubMed PMID: 26431294.
- Moysidis SN, Koulisis N, Ameri H, Matsunaga D, Yi J, Isozaki VL, et al. MULTIMODAL IMAGING OF GEOGRAPHIC AREAS OF RETINAL DARKENING. Retinal cases & brief reports. 2015;9(4):347-51. Epub 2015/10/01. doi: 10.1097/icb.0000000000000231. PubMed PMID: 26421892.
- Nagiel A, Sarraf D, Sadda SR, Spaide RF, Jung JJ, Bhavsar KV, et al. Type 3 Neovascularization: Evolution, Association with Pigment Epithelial Detachment, and Treatment Response as Revealed by Spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography. Retina (Philadelphia, Pa). 2015;35(4):638-47. Epub 2015/02/05. doi: 10.1097/iae.0000000000000488. PubMed PMID: 25650713.
- Ameri H. Retinal prosthesis, potential future approaches. Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology. 2014;42(7):599-600. Epub 2014/10/14. doi: 10.1111/ceo.12410. PubMed PMID: 25307555.
- Ameri H, Liu H, Liu R, Ha Y, Paulucci-Holthauzen AA, Hu S, et al. TWEAK/Fn14 Pathway is a Novel Mediator of Retinal Neovascularization. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 2014;55(2):801-13. Epub 2014/01/11. doi: 10.1167/iovs.13-12812. PubMed PMID: 24408972; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC3920863.
- Ameri H, Araujo JC, Gombos DS. Leuprolide Monotherapy for Choroidal Metastasis from Prostate Adenocarcinoma. Archives of Ophthalmology (Chicago, Ill : 1960). 2012;130(9):1225-6. Epub 2012/09/12. doi: 10.1001/archophthalmol.2012.458. PubMed PMID: 22965610.
- Abdallah W, Ameri H, Barron E, Chader GJ, Greenbaum E, Hinton DR, et al. Vitreal Oxygenation in Retinal Ischemia Reperfusion. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 2011;52(2):1035-42. Epub 2010/11/06. doi: 10.1167/iovs.09-4516. PubMed PMID: 21051734; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC3053094.
- Vaphiades MS, Wigton EH, Ameri H, Lee AG. Neuroretinitis with Retrobulbar Involvement. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology : The Official Journal of the North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society. 2011;31(1):12-5. Epub 2010/07/09. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0b013e3181e7e4c8. PubMed PMID: 20613630.
- Matsuoka N, Paeng DG, Chen R, Ameri H, Abdallah W, Zhou Q, et al. Ultrasonic Doppler Measurements of Blood Flow Velocity of Rabbit Retinal Vessels using a 45-MHz Needle Transducer. Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology = Albrecht von Graefes Archiv fur klinische und experimentelle Ophthalmologie. 2010;248(5):675-80. Epub 2010/02/18. doi: 10.1007/s00417-009-1298-9. PubMed PMID: 20162299; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC2847001.
- Ameri H, Ratanapakorn T, Ufer S, Eckhardt H, Humayun MS, Weiland JD. Toward a Wide-Field Retinal Prosthesis. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2009;6(3):035002. Epub 2009/05/22. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/6/3/035002. PubMed PMID: 19458405; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC2861858.
- Ameri H, Kim JG, Ratanapakorn T, Chader GJ, Humayun MS. Intravitreal and Subretinal Injection of Tissue Plasminogen Activator (tPA) in the Treatment of Experimentally Created Retinal Vein Occlusion in Rabbits. Retina (Philadelphia, Pa). 2008;28(2):350-5. Epub 2008/02/28. doi: 10.1097/IAE.0b013e318140580c. PubMed PMID: 18301042.
- Ameri H, Ratanapakorn T, Rao NA, Chader GJ, Humayun MS. Natural Course of Experimental Retinal Vein Occlusion in Rabbit; Arterial Occlusion Following Venous Photothrombosis. Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology = Albrecht von Graefes Archiv fur klinische und experimentelle Ophthalmologie. 2008;246(10):1429-39. Epub 2008/07/22. doi: 10.1007/s00417-008-0878-4. PubMed PMID: 18642023.
- Rodger DC, Fong AJ, Li W, Ameri H, Ahuja AK, Gutierrez C, et al. Flexible Parylene-Based Multielectrode Array Technology for High-Density Neural Stimulation and Recording. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 2008;132(2):449-60. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2007.10.069.
- Ameri H, Chader GJ, Kim JG, Sadda SR, Rao NA, Humayun MS. The Effects of Intravitreous Bevacizumab on Retinal Neovascular Membrane and Normal Capillaries in Rabbits. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 2007;48(12):5708-15. Epub 2007/12/07. doi: 10.1167/iovs.07-0731. PubMed PMID: 18055823.
- Huang CC, Ameri H, Deboer C, Rowley AP, Xu X, Sun L, et al. Evaluation of Lens Hardness in Cataract Surgery using High-Frequency Ultrasonic Parameters in vitro. Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology. 2007;33(10):1609-16. Epub 2007/07/10. doi: 10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2007.05.002. PubMed PMID: 17618041.
- Huang CC, Zhou Q, Ameri H, Wu DW, Sun L, Wang SH, et al. Determining the Acoustic Properties of the Lens using a High-Frequency Ultrasonic Needle Transducer. Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology. 2007;33(12):1971-7. Epub 2007/08/04. doi: 10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2007.06.004. PubMed PMID: 17673358.
- Rodger DC, Fong AJ, Li W, Ameri H, Lavrov I, Zhong H, et al., editors. High-Density Flexible Parylene-Based Multielectrode Arrays for Retinal and Spinal Cord Stimulation. TRANSDUCERS 2007 – 2007 International Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems Conference; 2007 10-14 June 2007.
- Zhou Q, Xu X, Gottlieb EJ, Sun L, Cannata JM, Ameri H, et al. PMN-PT Single Crystal, High-Frequency Ultrasonic Needle Transducers for Pulsed-Wave Doppler Application. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control. 2007;54(3):668-75. Epub 2007/03/23. PubMed PMID: 17375836.
- MacCarthy N, Wood T, Ameri H, O’Connell D, Alderman J. A Laser Release Method for Producing Prototype Flexible Retinal Implant Devices. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical. 2006;132(1):296-301. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2006.02.035.
- Ratanapakorn T, Ameri H, Humayun MS, Weiland JD. Enucleated Eye Model for Intraocular Retinal Prosthesis Implantation. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging : The Official Journal of the International Society for Imaging in the Eye. 2006;37(4):341-3. Epub 2006/08/11. PubMed PMID: 16898401.
- Rodger DC, Li W, Ameri H, Ray A, Weiland JD, Humayun MS, et al., editors. Flexible Parylene-based Microelectrode Technology for Intraocular Retinal Prostheses. 2006 1st IEEE International Conference on Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems; 2006 18-21 Jan. 2006.
- Rodger DC, Li W, Fong AJ, Ameri H, Meng E, Burdick JW, et al., editors. Flexible Microfabricated Parylene Multielectrode Arrays for Retinal Stimulation and Spinal Cord Field Modulation. Proc 4th International IEEE-EMBS Special Topic Conference on Microtechnologies in Medicine and Biology; 2006.
- Ameri H, O’Keefe M, Lanigan B, Grehan F. The Neonatal Eye. Republic of Ireland: Medicomedia Ltd. 2005.
- Gottlieb EJ, Bruce L, Xiaochen X, Cannata J, Jesse Y, Qifa Z, et al., editors. PMN-PT High Frequency Ultrasonic Needle Transducers for Pulsed Wave Doppler in the Eye. IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, 2005; 2005 18-21 Sept. 2005.
- Ameri H, Fenton S. Comparison of Unilateral and Simultaneous Bilateral Measurement of the Globe Position, using the Hertel Exophthalmometer. Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2004;20(6):448-51. Epub 2004/12/16. PubMed PMID: 15599245.
- Ameri H, Murray A, Cleary PE, Spence LD. Permanent Visual Loss Following Traumatic Cortical Contusion. Eye (London, England). 2004;18(10):1015-6. Epub 2004/04/03. doi: 10.1038/sj.eye.6701384. PubMed PMID: 15060558.
- Ameri H, Mozafar AE, Motamedi M. Surface Anatomy. Iran: Jahad-e- Daneshgahi, Tehran, 1991.