Biography and Education
Linda A. Lam MD, MBA is the Vice Chair of Satellite Clinical Affairs and an Associate Professor in Ophthalmology at the USC Keck School of Medicine. She attended Brown University where she graduated with honors in Neuroscience. Dr. Lam received her medical degree with honors at Cornell University Medical College, where she also performed a research fellowship on retinal cell physiology. She completed her residency at the Cole Eye Institute at Cleveland Clinic, before her medical and surgical vitreoretinal fellowship at Georgetown University Hospital and the Retina Group of Washington. She serves as a reviewer for journals including Ophthalmology and British Journal of Ophthalmology. Dr. Lam has authored peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters in retinal diseases. She has lectured both internationally and nationally on retinal disease and research.
She serves as the Medical Director of USC Roski Eye Institute Arcadia. She is also a graduate of the executive MBA program at the USC Marshall School of Business. Dr. Lam is on the Board of Directors at the Braille Institute of America and the American Academy of Ophthalmology Committee on Vision Rehabilitation. Her research interests include macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, complex vitreoretinal surgery, and innovative technology to aid low vision individuals worldwide.
Dr. Lam conducts research on the development of novel therapeutics for the treatment of macular degeneration and vascular diseases of the retina. She is and has been a principal investigator of clinical trials for macular degeneration and is a co-investigator in many clinical trials involving treatment and prevention of diseases such as macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. She is also currently involved in research to develop technologies to aid individuals with visual impairment.
- USC Marshall School of Business, Masters in Business Administration, Honors
- Cornell University Medical College, Doctorate of Medicine, Honors
- Brown University, Bachelor of Science in Neuroscience, Honors
- Lenox Hill Hospital, New York; Internship in Internal Medicine
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio; Ophthalmology Residency
- Georgetown University Hospital/Retina Group of Washington, Medical and Surgical Vitreoretinal Fellowship
Professional society memberships:
- The Retina Society
- American Society of Retinal Specialists
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Medical Association
- Los Angeles Ophthalmology Society
- Tri-county Eye Society
- Chinese American Ophthalmologic Society
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Committee on Vision Rehabilitation
- Soroptimist Foundation Scholarship for Community Leadership
- Brown University Scholar
- Sigma Xi Award, Brown University
- Tai Foundation Medical Scholarship
- NIH Summer Training Grant Fellowship
- David S. Barr Research Fellowship
- Dilmaghani Medical Scholarship
- American Heart Association Research Fellowship
- Cornell University Medical College Award for Honors in Research
- Highest patient satisfaction score, Press-Ganey survey, Department of Ophthalmology, USC
- Pasadena Magazine Top Doctor
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Award
- Los Angeles Magazine Top Doctor
- America’s Top Doctor
- American Society of Retina Specialists Honor Award Recipient
- Storey PP, Aziz HA, O’Keefe GAD, Borchert M, Lam LA, Puliafito CA, Olmos de Koo LC. Decreased Severity of Age-Related Macular Degeneration in Amblyopic Eyes. Br J Ophthalmol. 2018 Feb 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lam LA. Angioid Streaks. In Ryan S. (ed.) : Retina, 6th ed. Mosby 2017.
- Hariri A, Diniz B, Fou LV, Lam LA, Nittala MG, Sadda SR. Quantitative OCT Subanalysis of eyes with Choroidal Neovascularization Switched from Multiple Injections of Bevacizumab or Ranibizumab to Intravitreal Aflibercept. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging Retina. 2015;46(2):195-200. Epub 2015/02/24. doi: 10.3928/23258160-20150213-18. PubMed PMID: 25707044.
- Lam LA, Rodger DC. Bilateral Macular Detachments, Venous Stasis Retinopathy, and Retinal Hemorrhages as Initial Presentation of Multiple Myeloma: A Case Report. Retinal Cases & Brief Reports. 2014;8(4):240-4. Epub 2014/11/06. doi: 10.1097/icb.0000000000000110. PubMed PMID: 25372517.
- Gasperini JL, Fawzi AA, Khondkaryan A, Lam L, Chong LP, Eliott D, et al. Bevacizumab and Ranibizumab Tachyphylaxis in the Treatment of Choroidal Neovascularisation. The British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2012;96(1):14-20. Epub 2011/07/28. doi: 10.1136/bjo.2011.204685. PubMed PMID: 21791509.
- Lam LA. Angioid Streaks. In Ryan S. (ed.): Retina, 5th ed. Mosby 2012.
- Lam LA. How Long Should I Wait to Perform Cataract Surgery after Treatment of Diabetic Macular Edema or Retinopathy? In Fekrat S. (ed.) : Curbside Consultation in Retina. Slack, 2010, pp. 29–33.
- Eandi CM, Neri P, Adelman RA, Yannuzzi LA, Cunningham ET, Jr. Acute Syphilitic Posterior Placoid Chorioretinitis: Report of a Case Series and Comprehensive Review of the Literature. Retina (Philadelphia, Pa). 2012;32(9):1915-41. Epub 2012/08/07. doi: 10.1097/IAE.0b013e31825f3851. PubMed PMID: 22863970.
- Murphy RP, Lam LA, Chew EY. Hypertension. In Ryan S. (ed.): Retina, 4th ed. Mosby, 2005, pp. 1377–82.
- Lam LA, Lowder CY, Baerveldt G, Smith SD, Traboulsi EI. Surgical Management of Cataracts in Children with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis-Associated Uveitis. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2003;135(6):772-8. Epub 2003/06/06. PubMed PMID: 12788115.
- Li Y, Lam LA, Yu Z, Yang Z, Bither P, Zhang K. Clinical Spectrum in Autosomal Dominant Stargardt’s Macular Dystrophy with a Mutation in ELOVL4 Gene. In Anderson RE, LaVail MM, Hollyfield JG (eds): New Insights into Retinal Degenerative Diseases. Kluwer Academic and Plenum Publishers, 2001, pp. 1–9
- Marmorstein AD, Csaky KG, Baffi J, Lam L, Rahaal F, Rodriguez-Boulan E. Saturation of, and Competition for Entry into, the Apical Secretory Pathway. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2000;97(7):3248-53. Epub 2000/03/22. doi: 10.1073/pnas.070049497. PubMed PMID: 10725401; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc16224.
- Erkan D, Lam LA, Yazici Y, Magid SK. A Case of VATER Association Mimicking Spondylarthropathy. Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology. 2000;18(5):651. Epub 2000/11/10. PubMed PMID: 11072616.