Biography and Education
Vivek R. Patel, MD, received his undergraduate and medical degrees, with distinction, from the University of Saskatchewan. He completed his internship and residency training in ophthalmology at McGill University, where he served as chief resident, prior to completing fellowship training in neuro-ophthalmology at the University of Southern California. Dr. Patel came to us from the Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, where he was an assistant professor of neuro-ophthalmology.
Board-certified in the United States and Canada, Dr. Patel is an associate professor of ophthalmology and director of the Neuro-Ophthalmology and Adult Strabismus Program at the USC Roski Eye Institute, Keck School of Medicine. He also serves as the Residency Program director and Neuro-Ophthalmology Fellowship director at USC. He is currently a board examiner for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. He is a co-editor of Walsh and Hoyt’s Clinical Neuro-Ophthalmology: The Essentials, 3rd Edition, which is widely recognized as one of the pre-eminent textbooks in the field.
Dr. Patel has considerable expertise and experience in the surgical management of complex adult strabismus including the use of adjustable sutures and transposition techniques.
Dr. Patel’s major academic interest is in the study and imaging of the visual pathways. He has considerable expertise and experience in interpreting visual fields, microperimetry, and optical coherence tomography scans, in addition to the clinical evaluation and identification of patients with visual loss due to optic neuropathies and intracranial disorders. Dr. Patel is a co-investigator on a multidisciplinary collaboration involving ultra-high resolution imaging of the visual pathways and how they are affected in various optic nerve and retinal disorders.
- MD, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, 2001
- McGill University Health Centre, Internal Medicine, 2001
- McGill University, Ophthalmology, 2006
- University of Southern California, Neuro-ophthalmology, 2007
Professional society memberships:
- American Board of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- Canadian Ophthalmology Society (COS)
- North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society (NANOS)
- Top Graduating Student in Neurology: University of Saskatchewan, 2001
- Aerospace Medicine Award: Canadian Space Agency (in conjunction with NASA), 2002
- Leadership Award, McGill University, Dept. of Ophthalmology, 2006
- Faculty Teacher of the Year, University of Southern California, Department of Ophthalmology, 2007
- Faculty Teacher of the Year, University of Wisconsin, Dept. of Ophthalmology, 2008
- Faculty Teacher of the Year, University of Ottawa Eye Institute, 2009
- Faculty Teacher of the Year, USC Roski Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, 2015
- Moysidis SN, Koulisis N, Patel VR, Kashani AH, Rao NA, Humayun MS, Rodger DC. The Second Blind Spot: Small Retinal Vessel Vasculopathy after Vaccination against Neisseria Meningitidis and Yellow Fever. Retin Cases Brief Rep. Epub 2016 Sep 2.
- Storey PP, Kim EL, Patel V. Ptosis, Miosis, and Intermittent Esotropia Following Pituitary Adenoma Resection. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016 Aug 1;134(8):941-2.
- Albreiki D, Al Belushi F, Patel V, Farmer J. When a Temporal Artery Biopsy Reveals a Diagnosis Other Than Temporal Arteritis: Eosinophilic Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis. Can J Ophthalmol. 2016 Jun;51(3):e108-9.
- Patel VR, Zee DS. The cerebellum in eye movement control: nystagmus, coordinate frames and disconjugacy. Eye (London, England). 2015;29(2):299. Epub 2015/02/13. doi: 10.1038/eye.2014.306. PubMed PMID: 25672509; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc4330298.
- Jivraj I, Patel V. Treatment of ocular motor palsies. Current treatment options in neurology. 2015;17(3):338. Epub 2015/02/20. doi: 10.1007/s11940-015-0338-5. PubMed PMID: 25694134.
- Beh SC, Muthusamy B, Calabresi P, Hart J, Zee D, Patel V, et al. Hiding in plain sight: a closer look at posterior cortical atrophy. Practical neurology. 2015;15(1):5-13. Epub 2014/09/14. doi: 10.1136/practneurol-2014-000883. PubMed PMID: 25216669.
- Durling B, Toren A, Patel V, Gilberg S, Weis E, Jordan D. Incidence of discordant temporal artery biopsy in the diagnosis of giant cell arteritis. Canadian journal of ophthalmology Journal canadien d’ophtalmologie. 2014;49(2):157-61. Epub 2014/04/29. doi: 10.1016/j.jcjo.2013.12.008. PubMed PMID: 24767221.
- Channa R, Welsbie DS, Patel VR. More than just optic disc swelling. JAMA ophthalmology. 2013;131(11):1477-8. Epub 2013/11/16. doi: 10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2013.7013. PubMed PMID: 24232085.
- Tang V, Fantaneanu T, Chakraborty S, Patel V, Dowlatshahi D. Intracranial non-occlusive thrombus and multiple strokes in giant cell arteritis. The Canadian journal of neurological sciences Le journal canadien des sciences neurologiques. 2012;39(1):116-7. Epub 2012/03/06. PubMed PMID: 22384510.
- Maralani PJ, Hassanlou M, Torres C, Chakraborty S, Kingstone M, Patel V, et al. Accuracy of brain imaging in the diagnosis of idiopathic intracranial hypertension. Clinical radiology. 2012;67(7):656-63. Epub 2012/02/09. doi: 10.1016/j.crad.2011.12.002. PubMed PMID: 22309765.
- Al-Abri M, Britton WA, Manusow JS, Brownstein S, Patel V, Hurley B, et al. Restoration of vision after surgical removal of an intraocular needlefish jaw. Retinal cases & brief reports. 2012;6(3):298-300. Epub 2012/07/01. doi: 10.1097/ICB.0b013e318234cd1a. PubMed PMID: 25389737.
- Bussiere M, Falero R, Nicolle D, Proulx A, Patel V, Pelz D. Unilateral transverse sinus stenting of patients with idiopathic intracranial hypertension. AJNR American journal of neuroradiology. 2010;31(4):645-50. Epub 2009/11/28. doi: 10.3174/ajnr.A1890. PubMed PMID: 19942702.
- Johnson D, Patel VR. Atypical central serous chorioretinopathy with peripapillary subretinal fluid suggesting an optic neuropathy. Journal of neuro-ophthalmology : the official journal of the North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society. 2009;29(2):155-6. Epub 2009/06/06. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0b013e3181989ebf. PubMed PMID: 19491645.
- Sadun AA, Patel V. Neuro-Ophthalmology. Neurosurgical Focus. 2007;23(5):1.
- Shelhamer M, Peng GC, Ramat S, Patel V. Context-specific adaptation of the gain of the oculomotor response to lateral translation using roll and pitch head tilts as contexts. Experimental brain research. 2002;146(3):388-93. Epub 2002/09/17. doi: 10.1007/s00221-002-1235-1. PubMed PMID: 12232696.
- Midha R, Noble J, Patel V, Ho PH, Munro CA, Szalai JP. Prospective analysis of relationships of outcome measures for ulnar neuropathy at the elbow. The Canadian journal of neurological sciences Le journal canadien des sciences neurologiques. 2001;28(3):239-44. Epub 2001/08/22. PubMed PMID: 11513343.
- Patel VR, Bowen RC. Pathological laughter and obsessive-compulsive disorder in patients with affective illnesses. Canadian journal of psychiatry Revue canadienne de psychiatrie. 2000;45(5):489. Epub 2000/07/20. PubMed PMID: 10900530.