Biography and Education
After undergraduate studies at Yale University, Jessica Chang spent a year doing volunteer work in China and then attended Duke University School of Medicine. As a medical student, she was selected as a Howard Hughes Medical Institute NIH Research Scholar and spent two years at the National Eye Institute doing basic and clinical research in ophthalmology. She then completed ophthalmology residency at the Wilmer Eye Institute, followed by ASOPRS (American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery) fellowship training in Oculoplastics and Neuro-ophthalmology.
Her professional interests include age-related changes and diseases of the eyes and periorbital structures, international ophthalmology, epidemiology, and medical education. Outside of ophthalmology, she enjoys drawing and painting, swing dancing, and yoga.
- Yale College
- Duke University School of Medicine
- Internal Medicine at Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, MA
- Ophthalmology at Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- ASOPRS Oculoplastics Fellowship at Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore MD
Professional society memberships:
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Frank L. Coulson, Jr. Award for Clinical Excellence
- Miller-Coulson Academy of Clinical Excellence (Johns Hopkins Hospital)
- Chang JR, Gruener AM, Kum C, McCulley TJ. Temperature Changes Associated with Bone Drilling in an Orbital Model: Comparison of Ultrasonic Bone Curette and Conventional High-Speed Rotational Drill. Orbit. 2019 Jan 10:1-7.
- Hodgson NM, Campbell AA, Chang JR, Vizcaino A, Eberhart C, Pearl MS, McCulley TJ. Pituitary adenoma apoplexy of the orbit, diagnosis, and management with presurgical embolization. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Nov/Dec;34(6):e196-e197.
- Gruener AM, Ellison JMA, Chang JR. Why therapeutic compliance in optic neuritis deserves to be more than just a footnote. J Neuroophthalmol. 2018 Sep;38(3):422-423.
- McCulley TJ, Kum C, Chang JR, Gruener AM. Conservative treatment for penetrating injuries involving the cavernous sinus: Response. J Neuroophthalmol. 2018 Sep;38(3):425.
- Kum C, Chang JR, Gruener AM, McCulley TJ. Nonsurgical management of retained needlefish jaw. J Neuroophthalmol. 2018 Jun;38(2):190-191.
- Gruener AM, Chang JR, Bosley TM, Al-Sadah ZM, Kum C, McCulley TJ. Relative Frequencies of Arteritic and Nonarteritic Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy in an Arab Population. J Neuroophthalmol. 2017 Dec;37(4):382-5.