Biography and Education
Seth Seabury, PhD, is director of the Keck-Schaeffer Initiative for Population Health at the Leonard D. Schaeffer Center for Health Policy & Economics at USC, and associate professor of ophthalmology at the Keck School of Medicine of USC. His work examines the impact of legal and regulatory policy on healthcare delivery and patient outcomes, with a particular focus on at-risk and underserved populations. His research has been published in leading medical and health policy journals, including the New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of the American Medical Association, and featured in major media outlets. He has been funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, the National Institute on Aging, the California Department of Industrial Relations and the US Department of Labor.
Seabury is also a Faculty Research Fellow at the National Bureau of Economic Research, a member of the National Academy of Social Insurance and an associate editor of the International Review of Law and Economics. Prior to coming to USC, Seabury was a senior economist and associate director of the Center for Health and Safety in the Workplace at the RAND Corporation and professor of economics at the Pardee RAND Graduate School.
- Kenyon College, BA, 1996
- Columbia University, Economics, PhD, 2002
Other WEB Profiles:
- Kenyon College Economics Prize, 1996
- President’s Fellowship, Columbia University, 1997-1999
- Bradley Fellowship, Columbia University, 1999-2001
- Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy Fellowship, Columbia University, 2001
- Distinguished Scholar Award, RAND Institute for Civil Justice, 2007
- Powell D, Seabury S. Medical care spending and labor market outcomes: Evidence from workers’ compensation reforms. Am Econ Rev. 2018 Oct;108(10):2995-3027.
- Axeen S, Seabury SA, Menchine M. Emergency department contribution to the prescription opioid epidemic. Ann Emerg Med. 2018 Jun;71(6):659-667.e653.
- Nuckols TK, Conlon C, Robbins M, Dworsky M, Lai J, Roth CP, Levitan B, Seabury S, Seelam R, Benner D, Asch SM. Quality of care and patient-reported outcomes in carpal tunnel syndrome: A prospective observational study. Muscle Nerve. 2018 Jun;57(6):896-904.
- Thornton Snider J, Seabury S, Tebeka MG, Wu Y, Batt K. The option value of innovative treatments for metastatic melanoma. Forum Health Econ Policy. 2018 Jun 21;21(1).
- Seabury SA, Frasco MA, van Eijndhoven E, Sison S, Zacker C. The impact of self- and physician-administered cancer treatment on work productivity and healthcare utilization. Res Social Adm Pharm. 2018 May;14(5):434-440.
- Ly DP, Seabury SA, Jena AB. Characteristics of U.S. Physician Marriages, 2000-2015: An Analysis of Data from a U.S. Census Survey. Ann Intern Med. 2018 Mar 6;168(5):375-6.
- Levine M, Flores J, Seabury SA, Sanko S, Eckstein M. Impact of the Use of Regional Poison Control Centers in an Urban Ems Dispatch System. J Med Toxicol. 2017 Mar;13(1):47-51.
- Schaffer AC, Jena AB, Seabury SA, Singh H, Chalasani V, Kachalia A. Rates and Characteristics of Paid Malpractice Claims among Us Physicians by Specialty, 1992-2014. JAMA Intern Med. 2017 May;177(5):710-8.
- Seabury S, Bognar K, Xu Y, Huber C, Commerford SR, Tayama D. Regional Disparities in the Quality of Stroke Care. Am J Emerg Med. 2017 Sep;35(9):1234-9.
- Seabury SA, Frasco MA, van Eijndhoven E, Sison S, Zacker C. The Impact of Self- and Physician-Administered Cancer Treatment on Work Productivity and Healthcare Utilization. Res Social Adm Pharm. 2017 May. [Epub ahead of print]
- Seabury SA, Terp S, Boden LI. Racial and Ethnic Differences in the Frequency of Workplace Injuries and Prevalence of Work-Related Disability. Health Aff (Millwood). 2017 Feb;36(2):266-73.
- Terp S, Seabury SA, Arora S, Eads A, Lam CN, Menchine M. Enforcement of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, 2005 to 2014. Ann Emerg Med. 2017 Feb;69(2):155-62.e1.
- Terp S, Wang B, Raffetto B, Seabury SA, Menchine M. Individual Physician Penalties Resulting from Violation of Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act: A Review of Office of the Inspector General Patient Dumping Settlements, 2002-2015. Acad Emerg Med. 2017 Apr;24(4):442-6
- Ly DP, Seabury SA, Jena AB. Characteristics of U.S. Physician Marriages, 2000-2015: An Analysis of Data from a U.S. Census Survey. Ann Intern Med. 2017 Nov:1-3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ly DP, Seabury SA, Jena AB. Hours Worked among Us Dual Physician Couples with Children, 2000 to 2015. JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Oct;177(10):1524-5.
- Thornton Snider J, Batt K, Wu Y, Tebeka MG, Seabury S. The Option Value of Innovative Treatments for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer and Renal Cell Carcinoma. Am J Manag Care. 2017 Oct;23(10):e340-e6.
- Desai S, Gruber PF, Eiting E, Seabury SA, Mack WJ, Voyageur C, Vasquez V, Kim HT, Terp S. The Effect of Utilization Review on Emergency Department Operations. Ann Emerg Med. 2017 Nov;70(5):623-31.e1.
- Shafrin J, Ganguli A, Gonzalez YS, Shim JJ, Seabury SA. Geographic Variation in the Quality and Cost of Care for Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2016 Dec;22(12):1472-81.
- Seabury SA. Letter. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2016 Nov;22(11):1222.
- Levine M, Flores J, Seabury SA, Sanko S, Eckstein M. Impact of the Use of Regional Poison Control Centers in an Urban Ems Dispatch System. J Med Toxicol. Epub 2016 Oct 7.
- Conlon C, Asch S, Hanson M, Avins A, Levitan B, Roth C, Robbins M, Dworsky M, Seabury S, Nuckols T. Assessing the Value of High-Quality Care for Work-Associated Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in a Large Integrated Health Care System: Study Design. Perm J. 2016 Fall;20(4):87-95.
- Terp S, Seabury SA, Arora S, Eads A, Lam CN, Menchine M. Enforcement of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, 2005 to 2014. Ann Emerg Med. Epub 2016 Aug 1.
- MacEwan JP, Kamat SA, Duffy RA, Seabury S, Chou JW, Legacy SN, Hartry A, Eramo A, Karson C. Hospital Readmission Rates among Patients with Schizophrenia Treated with Long-Acting Injectables or Oral Antipsychotics. Psychiatr Serv. 2016 Jul 15:appips201500455.
- Thornton Snider J, Seabury S, Lopez J, McKenzie S, Goldman DP. Impact of Type 2 Diabetes Medication Cost Sharing on Patient Outcomes and Health Plan Costs. Am J Manag Care. 2016 Jun;22(6):433-40.
- Schwartz AL, Pesa J, Doshi D, Fastenau J, Seabury SA, Roberts ET, Grabowski DC. Medicaid Managed Care Penetration and Drug Utilization for Patients with Serious Mental Illness. Am J Manag Care. 2016 May;22(5):346-53.
- Ly DP, Seabury SA, Jena AB. Differences in Incomes of Physicians in the United States by Race and Sex: Observational Study. Bmj. 2016;353:i2923.
- Jena AB, Schoemaker L, Bhattacharya J, Seabury SA. Authors’ Reply to Barbieri and Kovarik, Mariani, and Waxman and Kanzaria. Bmj. 2015;351:h6774.
- Jena AB, Schoemaker L, Bhattacharya J, Seabury SA. Physician Spending and Subsequent Risk of Malpractice Claims: Observational Study. Bmj. 2015;351:h5516.
- Ly, Dan P., Seth A. Seabury and Anupam B. Jena. “Differences in incomes of physicians in the United States by race and sex: observational study.” British Medical Journal 353 (2016): i2923
- Thornton Snider, Julia; Seth A. Seabury, Janice Lopez, Scott McKenzie, Yanyu Wu, and Dana P. Goldman. “Impact of Type 2 Diabetes Medication Cost Sharing on Patient Outcomes and Health Plan Costs.” American Journal of Managed Care; 22(6): 433-440. 2016.
- Schwartz, Aaron L., Jacqueline Pesa, Dilesh Doshi, John Fastenau, Seth A. Seabury, Eric T. Roberts and David C. Grabowski, “Medicaid Managed Care Penetration and Drug Utilization for Patients with Serious Mental Illness.” American Journal of Managed Care; 22(5): 346-353. 2016.
- Jena, Anupam B., Lena Schoemaker, Jay Bhattacharya, and Seth A. Seabury. “Physician spending and subsequent risk of malpractice claims: observational study.” British Medical Journal 351 (2015): h5516.
- Seabury, Seth A., Dana P. Goldman, Charu N. Gupta, Zeba M. Khan, Amitabh Chandra, Tomas J. Philipson and Darius N. Lakdawalla. “Quantifying Gains in the War on Cancer Due to Improved Treatment and Earlier Detection.” Forum for Health Economics and Policy. DOI: 10.1515/fhep-2015-0028, November 2015.
- Ly, Dan P., Seth A. Seabury, and Anupam B. Jena. “Divorce among physicians and other healthcare professionals in the United States: analysis of census survey data.” British Medical Journal. 350 (2015): h706.
- Seabury, Seth A., Darius N. Lakdawalla, Samantha J. Dougherty, Jeff Sullivan and Dana P. Goldman. “Medication adherence and measures of health plan quality.” The American Journal of Managed Care. 21: e379-389.
- Vanderpuye-Orgle, Jacqueline, Yang Zhao, Jackie Lu, Anshu Shrestha, Alison Sexton, Seth A. Seabury, and Mark Lebwohl. “Evaluating the economic burden of psoriasis in the United States.” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2015.02.1099. 2015.
- Jena, Anupam, Dana P. Goldman and Seth A. Seabury. “Incidence of Sexually Transmitted Infections After Human Papillomavirus Vaccination Among Adolescent Females.” JAMA Internal Medicine. 175(4): 617-23. 2015.
- Frakes, Michael D., Frank, Matthew B. and Seth A. Seabury. “Do Physicians Respond to Liability Standards?” Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics. 171: 1–20. DOI: 10.1628/093245615X14188909230136. 2015.
- Helland, Eric and Seth A. Seabury. “Tort Reform and Physician Labor Supply: A Review of the Evidence.” International Review of Law and Economics. DOI: 10.1016/j.irle.2015.01.005. 2015.
- Seabury, Seth A.,Eric Helland and Anupam B. Jena. “Medical Malpractice Reform: Noneconomic Damages Caps Reduced Payments 15 Percent, With Varied Effects By Specialty.” Health Affairs. 33(11): 2048-2056.
- Seabury, Seth A., Darius N. Lakdawalla, Deborah Walter, John Hayes, Thomas Gustafson, Anshu Shrestha, and Dana P. Goldman. “Patient Outcomes and Cost Effects of Medicaid Formulary Restrictions on Antidepressants.” Forum for Health Economics and Policy. DOI: 1515/fhep-2014-0016. November 2014.
- Seabury, Seth A., Scherer, Ethan, O’Leary, Paul, Ozonoff, Al. and Leslie I. Boden, “Using Linked Federal and State Data to Study the Adequacy of Workers’ Compensation Benefits.” American Journal of Industrial Medicine. 57(10): 1165-1173.
- Seabury, Seth A., Charu N. Gupta, Tomas J. Philipson, and Laura E. Henkhaus. “Understanding and Overcoming Barriers to Medication Adherence: A Review of Research Priorities.” Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy.20(8): 775-83.
- Mangalmurti, Sandeep, Seabury, Seth A., Chandra, Amitabh, Lakdawalla, Darius, Oetgen, William J. and Anupam B. Jena. “Medical Professional Liability Risk among U.S. Cardiologists.” American Heart Journal, 167(5): 690-696.
- Seabury, Seth A., Goldman, Dana P., Kalsekar, Iftekhar, Sheenan, John J., Laubmeier, Kimberly, and Darius N. Lakdawalla, “Formulary Restrictions on Atypical Antipsychotics: Impact on Costs for Patients with Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder in Medicaid.” American Journal of Managed Care. 20(2): e52-e60. 2014.
- Seabury, Seth A., Neuhauser, Frank and John Mendeloff, “Is the Risk of Occupational Injuries Greater at New Firms?” Industrial Relations. 53(1): 28-45.
- Seabury, Seth A., Dana Goldman and Darius Lakdawalla, “The Role of Specialty Drugs in Private Sector Healthcare Spending.” American Journal of Pharmacy Benefits. 5: sp23-sp28.
- Seabury, Seth A., Anupam Jena and Amitabh Chandra. “Trends in the Earnings of Male and Female Health Care Professionals in the United States, 1987 to 2010.” JAMA Internal Medicine. 173(18):1748-1750. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.8519.
- Jena, Anupam B., Amitabh Chandra, and Seth A. Seabury. “Malpractice Risk Among US Pediatricians.”Pediatrics, 131(6): 1-7.
- Seabury, Seth A. Neuhauser, Frank and Teryl Nuckols, “American Medical Association Impairment Ratings and Earnings Losses Due to Disability.” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 55(3): 286-291.
- Jena, Anupam B., Pinar Karaca-Mandic, Lesley Weaver and Seth A. Seabury. “Predicting new diagnoses of human immunodeficiency virus infection using internet search engine data.” Clinical Infectious Diseases, 56 (9): 1352-1353. 2013
- Seabury, Seth A., Amitabh Chandra, Darius N. Lakdawalla and Anupam Jena. “On Average, Physicians Spend Nearly 11 Percent of Their 40-Year Careers with an Open, Unresolved Malpractice Claim.” Health Affairs. 32(1): 111-119.
- Seabury SA. “Jury Verdicts, Settlement Behavior and Expected Trial Outcomes,” International Review of Law and Economics. 30(2): 15-22. 2013.
- Seabury SA. Anupam Jena and Amitabh Chandra “Trends in the earnings of health care professionals in the United States, 1987-2010.” Journal of the American Medical Association. 308(20): 2083-5. 2012.
- Lakdawalla, Darius N. and Seth A. Seabury, “The Welfare Effects of Medical Malpractice Liability.” International Review of Law and Economics. 32(4): 356-369. 2012.
- O’Leary, Paul, Leslie I. Boden, Seth A. Seabury, Al Ozonoff, and Ethan Scherer, “Workplace Injuries and the Take-up of Social Security Disability Benefits,” Social Security Bulletin. 72(3): 1-18. 2012.
- Seabury SA, Christopher McLaren, Robert T. Reville, Frank Neuhauser and John Mendeloff, “Workers’ Compensation Experience Rating and Return to Work,” Policy and Practice in Health and Safety. 10(1):69-87. 2012.
- Jena, Anupam B., Amitabh Chandra, Darius Lakdawalla, and Seth A. Seabury. “Outcomes of Medical Malpractice Litigation against US Physicians.” Archives of Internal Medicine 172, no. 11 (2012): 892-894.
- Seabury SA., Dana P. Goldman, J. Ross Maclean, John R. Penrod and Darius Lakdawalla. “Patients value metastatic cancer therapy more highly than is typically shown through traditional estimates.” Health Affairs, 31(4): 691-9.
- Seabury SA, Amitabh Chandra, Darius Lakdawalla, and Anupam Jena. “Defense Costs of Medical Malpractice Claims”. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012; 366(14):1354-1356.
- Jena, Anupam, Seabury SA, Lakdawalla D and Amitabh Chandra, “Malpractice Risk According to Physician Specialty.” New England Journal of Medicine, 365(7): 629-636. 2011.
- Philipson Tomas, Seabury SA, Lockwood Lee, Goldman Dana and Darius Lakdawalla. “Geographic Variation in Health Care: The Role of Private Markets.” Brookings Papers on Economic Activity. 325-355. Spring, 2010.
- Bhattacharya, Jayanta, Neuhauser, Frank, Reville, Robert T. and Seth A. Seabury, “Evaluating Permanent Disability Ratings Using Empirical Data on Earnings Losses.” Journal of Risk and Insurance, 77(1): 231-260. 2009.
- Lakdawalla, Darius, Reville, Robert T., and Seth A. Seabury, “How Does Health Insurance Affect Workers’ Compensation Filing?” Economic Inquiry, 45(2). 2007.
- Seabury SA, Reville RT, and Frank Neuhauser, “Physician Shopping in Workers’ Compensation: Evidence from California,” Journal of Empirical Legal Studies, 3(1). 2006.
- Chandra, Amitabh, Nundy, Shantanu and Seth A. Seabury, “The Growth of Physician Medical Malpractice Payments: Evidence From the National Practitioner Databank,” Health Affairs. 2005, 06/01/05.
- Seabury SA, Nicholas M. Pace and Robert T. Reville, “Forty Years of Civil Jury Verdicts,” Journal of Empirical Legal Studies, 1(1).